Chapter 52

The day Evan Fong was finally able to step out of the automatic sliding door, the warm air that contrasts the fully air-conditioned building greeting him does everything finally sinks in. The atmosphere wasn't suffocating. There's no longer the smell of medicine and cheap perfumes. His surrounding was no longer limited to the dull shades of white and gray; all of those were left behind. Most importantly, he's finally free to go wherever and do what he wants. 

O̶n̶l̶y̶ t̶h̶e̶ p̶h̶a̶n̶t̶o̶m̶ a̶c̶h̶e̶ i̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ h̶i̶s̶ c̶h̶e̶s̶t̶ r̶e̶m̶a̶i̶n̶s̶.

It was like a sign. To reset his life, to start over again. Even if it means one step at a time.

First off his list, go back to his house. He saw a cab coming to his left and raised his hand to call over. It stopped and opened the door leading to the backseat before settling inside.

"To the Fong Residence." He told the driver, who simply nodded and pressed the taximeter to start their trip.

The journey took a little longer as expected considering the location of the hospital was quite far to his house and exactly half an hour passed when the familiar tall gate separating everything else from what's inside loomed over the vehicle which has stopped just upfront. He handed over his payment, not waiting for his change before exiting the cab and marching towards the hinged barrier. Once he passed it he didn't waste any time and straight up opened the mahogany double door which, at this point, was unsurprisingly unlocked. He grunts a few complaints and a reminder to say a word about it to the only person residing the place at the moment. 

Speaking of the devil, there he was, laying on the couch with his feet up the armrest and munching a bag of chips while watching some kind of show he wasn't familiar with. It seems like the other was too focused on it that he didn't hear the footsteps knocking against porcelain tiles up until Evan was hovering over his cousin from behind the couch. He watched as confusion wrapped on his cousin's face by the sudden shadow looming over until their eyes met when the other looked up and screamed in surprise, frantically moving away until he fell down from the furniture and landed on the carpet.

"Didn't I tell you to always lock the door?" Was the first thing he said as he watched his cousin get up to his feet with a scowl.

"I thought tomorrow's your release from the hospital?"

He took a seat and stared blankly. "It is tomorrow."

Looking down at his watch, Lucas' eyes widened before slumping on the couch beside him.

"Oh shit. Sorry dude, I still haven't gotten any sleep yet. Just finished another art piece y'know." The younger replied, scratching one of his cheek abashedly.

"I can tell." He responded, looking up and down at the mess all over his cousin's t-shirt.

"Geez, that mouth of yours really needs a filter sometimes. C'mon, humor me a 'lil!" Lucas tried to nudge him but he immediately stood up and started walking up the stairs.

"No thanks, don't need one. Anyway, I'll be in my room if you need something."

"Aren't ya gonna ask anything?"

He stopped midway and half heartedly looked back.

"What kind of questions are you looking for?"

They stared at each other for a long time, no one daring to look away. Then there's a shift in Lucas' eyes Evan barely noticed if he's not paying enough attention. The other was the first one to look away, focusing back to the show but Evan knows his cousin no longer pays attention to it when he hears him let out a defeated sigh.

"Doesn't matter. I don't really care."

This time, Evan just kept walking.

He finally reached his room, not sparing a second glance on the other door across from his and went straight inside. 

He didn't realize he's holding his breath till he let out a sigh. Back slumping against the door serving as support as he felt his legs gave out underneath him.

"Get a hold of yourself, Evan. You're stronger than this." He told himself. With shaky legs he stood up and walked towards his bed, grabbing the notepad and pen he always put on the side table on the way. He sat at the edge of the bed and stared at the objects in his hands.

"Now," He opened the notepad and flipped it till he reached a blank page. "What's the plan?"

A/N: I'm back! Oh geez, it's been 2 years already since the last update? What? 😱 After rereading this story, half of the ideas I had back then are now gone and I have to think of new ones. Is there someone still reading this though? XD Btw, from now on it'll be a 3rd person's POV as my writing changed over the past few years. I'm also in AO3(name: Ziezie)! Tho I only got 2 works there and in a different fandom. :))