Chapter 38

Evan's POV

Waking up to the sound of a phone ringing wasn't unusual for me. I grunt before opening my eyes and search where the sound came from. Before I could even get up a body, that was laying on my chest, whined and wrapped its arms around me.

"Ignore it. It's just probably a reminder to Brian." My husband slurred as he continue to sleep on top of me. I sigh and reach out my hand towards the table where the phone continues to ring without making much movement to disturb the person on top of me.

"Even though I want to, I can't. Maybe it's important." I replied. He whined again and bury his face on my bare chest. Once I finally reached my phone I look at who's the caller and to my surprise it's my father. I swipe the call button and put my phone against my ear.

"What do you need?"

"Well good morning to you too." He greeted. I sigh and close my eyes.

"Morning. So what is it? It's like 3 in the morning."

"Oh really? I must have misread the time there. Woops. Apologies." He reasoned out. I grunt and roll my eyes.

[Reminder: His father is in a different country.]

The person laying on my chest look up at me in confusion. I just mouthed 'father' to him and he immediately reads my mouth and goes back to sleeping.

"Just get to the point, father. I'm tired and need some sleep."

"Oh? The ol' mighty Evan needs some sleep? Looks like Jona–"

"I swear to god, father. If you just call to annoy me then I'm going to end this call right now." I threatened. Instead of being frightened my father laughed instead.

"Chillax, my son. You need to improve your patience you know? Anyway, the reason I called is to get updated to your progress with your cousin."

Ah shit. I forgot about that. "It's going according to plan. Jonathan and I are warming up to that brat. Especially him." I whisper over the phone, wary that my husband will wake up. I look down and saw him still sleeping peacefully, hair all over the place and mouth slightly open.

"Oh, I see. Well keep it up. He's getting impatient."

I grumble and gritted my teeth. "I'm working on it. No need to remind me."

I hear him sigh over the phone. "I know you can do it. I trust you. Always will."

It took me by surprise on what he last said. There's a moment of silence between us and before it could get awkward I immediately spoke up.

"Ok, father. I really need to rest. I'll talk to you again later."

"Alright. Bye, son."

"Bye."

I ended the call and stare at my phone for a moment before shaking my head and placing the phone back to the table.

'That old man. Always saying something weird.'

I move a little bit to lay comfortable on the bed, making sure not to disturb the sleeping man laying on top of me. I pull the blanket up to cover both of our bodies from the cold before closing my eyes and falling back asleep.

The next time I woke up I'm already alone. I look around and saw a note under my phone. I grab it and read the content.

Hey, Evan.

I already went to work. Lucas tagged along so you don't have to worry about taking care of him. I didn't wake you up because you look tired. I already cooked you breakfast, it's on the table. Make sure to eat and not just working okay? :)