Chapter 51

Evan's POV

[Five days later]

"Brock and the others weren't allowed yet and only family members could come. I don't know why but maybe after a week they could visit you as well."

Without looking up, I hum while turning the page of the book I'm reading to the next one.

"Is that so? Then I'm looking forward to it." I replied, focusing back on the line of words I'm reading.

"The doctor said you should at least move a little so your muscles can get off some tension."

"I'll keep that in mind."

There was a short pause, the room suddenly falling into silence before my cousin called my name.

"Evan."

Without any other choice I divert my attention from the book I'm holding and look up at him with a brow raised but I quickly regretted it when the stitches on my busted eyebrow stretched a little bit causing it to sting and making me wince in pain. I saw him cringing in empathy as he hiss at my pained reaction.

"Yes?" I asked, trying to relax my face while I tilt my head a little in question. He stare at me for a second before looking away and shaking his head.

"Nothing." He paused, finishing up cutting the apples into bits before placing it on the table at arms reach. Lucas then crossed his arms, slumping back in his seat while sending me an annoyed look.

"I'm just surprised you're acting... normal."

'Normal', he says. On which part does he think I'm acting normal? To be honest, I'm just keeping my composure. I've learnt right from the start that making myself vulnerable and exposing my emotions would only lead to painful questions and eventually, regret.

As much as I wanted to frown I just chose to ignore his remark since it will only aggravate the stitches and might actually bleed (once again) so I just went back to reading the book I asked for him to bring on his next visit since my eyesight went back to normal. It is getting pretty boring and having nothing to waste some time is frustrating.

It's been five days since the day I've been confined, laying motionlessly on the mattress. The only useful movement I've made was when going to the bathroom or when a nurse came into my room and do a daily check-up, giving me medicine along with some bland foods. But somehow, I'm still tired. Even though all I've been doing these whole time was lay on the bed I still feel exhausted. The sudden lack of motivation and care took over my entire body, sucking the life out of my short existence. To make matters worst, my thoughts were all around the place, scrambled and lost, unlike how I used to be.

How did I became like this?

What took me by surprise was, for some reason, Lucas still stay everyday while being silent on one of the chairs and start sketching like the usual until it's dark. Even I have to admit that this place is boring so I know he is as well plus, I could say so myself that I'm not much of an enjoyable company so I'm still wondering what is he still doing here instead of spending his time on a much more useful way.

My thoughts were interrupted when I suddenly heard an unfamiliar tune. I look to my left where the noise was coming from and my eyes travel to my cousin who's softly humming and working on his sketchpad. This is the first time I hear him create some melody, it was soothing yet somewhat confusing unlike the once I've heard before on the radio in the past. I thought he was only going to continue humming but it took me by surprised me when he started singing.

"Strumming my pain with his fingers
Singing my life with his words"

Before I knew it, I put down the book and kept my attention on him.