Part 1

Emma Sampson POV

I was too engrossed in my work that I didn't realise that my boss was sitting in front of me until he cleared his throat.

I raised my head up, and looked at him waiting for him to speak. "What were you two talking about?" He asked.

"Excuse me?" I asked puzzled.

"You and that kid I mean." He clarified.

"Just some stuff." I replied. "Work related stuff." I added when he raised a questioning eyebrow.

His posture seemed to relax for a millisecond before his business mode was activated again. "What about the papers I asked you to review." He asked.

"Already did, they're on your desk." I said.

"When did you put them there? How come I didn't see you putting them there." He said curious.

"I did it yesterday. You told me to finish them by the end of the day so I did the job before going home last night." I clarified.

"How come I didn't notice you?" He mumbled to himself.

It's no secret that the big boss is practically living in his office, he rarely goes home that's why he has a whole room inside his office with all his necessities.

"You were on the phone in your room, so I didn't want to disturb you." I explained.

"Okay, then." He nodded before standing up. "You still remember our date tonight, right?" He asked.

"Sir, how many times have told y-"

"And how many times have I told you to quit calling me that." It was more of a statement than a question, and by his stern expression I would say he expects to be obeyed without arguments.

"Yes, I still do." I answered his previous question knowing it was no use in declining. No matter how many times I declined, he still was able to take me on dates.

It's been two years since I left my country, came here, and started working in Knights conglomerate as the CEO and founder Adam Knights' PA.

It's safe to say that our relationship is more personal than it is professional. Adam kept on asking me to date him since ever I joined the company, and no matter how many times I refused, and tried to keep our relationship a strictly professional one. He wouldn't agree, and would always take me on dates and such.

He even told the media we are engaged, but we're yet to move in together because we want to wait for the wedding. When I told him I wanted him to revoke his statement, he told me to get used to the spotlights because we are going to get married whether I liked it or not.

This charade has been going one for almost two years now. At first I thought it was just an infatuation he had with me, and that it will vanish with time. However he got more and more possessive with each passing day.

He refuses to leave me alone, and I'm sure last night's order to review the papers he gave me before I went home was only because he thought I'll be having a date with Jardel when he heard me confirming our dinner together. Jardel is a gay friend of mine that Adam's unaware of his preferences.

Same goes with the interrogation we were just having few minutes ago. He saw me talking to him in the hallway that's why.

I may not be a completely willing participant in this so called relationship of ours, but I won't go around having dates with others when I'm supposedly engaged, and about to get married.

I won't hurt Adam's feelings because I know that he really does want whatever this is to work out that's why he's taking me to dates every other day despite how busy he is, or the fact that I may not consent to it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not because he's ugly that I don't reciprocate his feelings. Quite the opposite actually he's rather handsome. He has a short brown hair that is always gelled to perfection with a body to die for, and a stormy grey eyes. He is ten years older than me, but that's not the problem either.

The problem is that I simply don't trust people anymore, especially men. I know no matter how many years they'll shower you with their love and devotion, there will come a day where you become a second choice, a burden, an unnecessary existence, or a withering interlude.

This wasn't why I left the luxuries my family can offer me, to be independent a continent away. This wasn't why I ran and distanced myself from my dad who could see nothing beyond a wealthy son-in-law who could benefit his business, not even his daughter's happiness.

My dad almost disowned me when he found out I refused my ex husband's offer to stay and be the second wife and the third wheel in his and his beloved wife's relationship. He was furious I missed such opportunity, he cut off all my financial aid the very moment I got out of my ex's house.

Thank god I was never dependent on his money, and I had my own job to support myself. Those shiny credit cards given by him were never used, not even a single penny of them.

If I hadn't my own job I would be still under my father's rule, and in the same house as a cheating husband, watching them being happy on the crumbled pieces of my broken heart.

With the money I saved along the years, I was able to start a new life in a new place with new memories, and away from all the negative vibes.

"Emma?" Adam waved a hand in front of me. "Did you hear me?" He asked.

"Huh?" I asked still dazed from my reverie.

"I said I'll pick you up at 8:00 o'clock." Adam said fixing his suit before heading towards the door. He turned to look at me waiting for my answer, and I just nodded.

He left the door open, marched back towards me, kissed my forehead, and headed out.

I watched him exiting the door, I heard few people whispering about how cute we are, or how they envy me for having such a caring man.

However I couldn't allow myself to indulge into that world ever again, once was more than enough. Besides I have only one heart that was shattered long time ago, so I can't give him one even if I wanted to. Even though I know Adam deserves more than what I'm giving him, I just can't.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to push him away in order for him to find one that can give him as much as she receives from him, but he's too stubborn to heed anything.

I shook my head to get rid of all those unpleasant thoughts, and resumed doing my work.

A/N

Thanks everyone, and enjoy.

Mi-M-Ab.