Book II - Part 38

Unedited.

Third Person POV

Michael knew Emma found out about his father's crimes, that it was time for him to pay for his sins against her family, including the ones from decades ago.

The father he learned to abhor for the amount of blood on his hands and his endless greed was finally to serve his delayed penalty.

All the uncalled for blood he shed, and the lives he destroyed in his seeking of wealth and prosperity was finally coming back at him to bite him right where it hurts.

He couldn't help but feel a bit of a sting in his heart for him, no matter how much he hated the old man it does not change the fact that he is his father.

The sound of a tires coming to a halt brought him out of his thoughts. He knew it was Emma and the three consecutive knocks on the door confirmed it.

"Who might it be at this early hour?" His wife asked as she headed towards the door to open it.

"Leave it, I'll do it." Michael stopped her before she reached the door.

"Who is it, son?" His father asked from where he was reading the morning news.

"You'll find out." Michael said and went to open the door.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

"Come on in." Michael's voice rung through the corridor as he ushered his guests.

His wife paled instantly when she saw who he was letting in. What was Emma doing here? Was all she thought about.

"Long time no see, Amani." Emma said nonchalantly.

"Emma, long time indeed." Amani regained her composure quick enough to answer Emma while she was in the corridor.

All blood drained from Michael's father's face when he heard the name his daughter-in-law uttered rather loudly, leaving him white as a ghost.

"We meet again, William." Emma greeted as she came face to face with her ex husband's old man in their living room.

William didn't know what to do or how to react, he found himself standing up abruptly. His whole body had a mind of its own, it refused to listen to it. His hand were shaking, tongue is tied and the constant beeping in his ears was blinding him by the second. All in all his body has surrendered to the one feeling that brought men to their knees, fear.

"Emma, dear, it's b- been a l- long time." He finally managed to utter, but cursed himself for stuttering midway.

"Drop the act, I'm not in mood to play along nor do I have the time for it." Emma said bluntly.

She looked at Michael who came back from his room with his luggage.

"Finished?" She asked.

Michael nodded his head in response.

He was preparing for this day way before, he knew that Emma was bound to come to collect his father's debt. He wanted to be out of the country by then, that plan however was hindered when Emma's call came earlier than expected.

He had to pack his belongings and book a flight to the furthest country on the map from Germany. He chose to leave whole Europe, and settle in a different continent.

"Honey, where are you going?"

"Where are you going?"

Both his wife and father asked at the same time. He ignored his father and looked at his wife. "Away from here." He said. "Pack your bags if you want to come with me otherwise the divorce papers are on the nightstand signed." He added nonchalantly.