Book II - Part 17

Unedited.

Third Person POV

Adam's been a raging beast from the moment he got the news of his little angel getting kidnapped.

It's been a whole week since he heard her laughter or seen her pouting lips whenever her mother reprimand her for pranking others.

The house has been deadly quite ever since she's gone, Emma cried for the couple first days but she suddenly stopped showing any kind of reaction whatsoever and that concerned him.

He was afraid of her shutting off like she did four years ago when she regained her consciousness and found out about her forgotten family. She was more like a walking dead than an actual human. 

His mind couldn't begin to register the happenings from the past few days let alone figure out who's responsible for this or plan his next move. He was as if frozen in the same spot, unable to move a muscle from his place.

This feeling was odd but not unfamiliar, he only felt it a couple of times in his life. When Emma disappeared five years back and he couldn't find her anywhere no matter how hard he searched, or when he finally found her only to be told she may not be able to make it out alive of the OR and if she does she will not be the same person he knows.

This dreadful feeling of helplessness is driving him nuts.

What does his title as the Protectors leader and the ruthless and well-known businessman mean if he's incapable of protecting his family.

"Sir, why don't we start with Müller?" Jeff suggested when he saw how distraught his boss was.

"Why Müller?" Adam asked.

"It's odd how he disappeared with young miss without any sign of struggle." Jeff answered his disoriented boss.

Something seemed as if finally snapped in Adam's mind and he speed-walked out of his office. Jeff went to follow him out of the room, but he yelled at him to stop.

A couple of minutes later he was upstairs, outside of his bedroom. He barged in just when she came out of the bathroom.

"Honey, you came? Good, I was about to call you." Emma said before he could utter a word.

"Why?" He asked.

"You told me to tell you when that number contact me again." She told him.

"Did they?"

She nodded her head towards him. "They did." She said before heading towards the night stand, took her phone, unlocked it and showed it to him.

Have you done what I asked? Adam read the message silently before he handed the phone back to her.

"That's it?" He asked, his tone suspicious and stance stiff and tense.

"Yes?" Emma sensed the change in him almost instantly. "What wrong, Adam?" She asked.

"It's you, isn't it?" Adam said, cautiously studying her.

"I'm what?" Adam could see the hint of the smirk that she was trying to cover with the fake confusion, for a moment there his mind traveled to that fateful day. When she left him to death, the last thing he saw of her was the evil smirk before she turned her back on her five years ago.