Book II - Part 3

Unedited.

Third Person POV

     Flashbacks (5 Years Ago.)

                               Few days before the explosion.

Adam's been busy for the past few months with his company. Weird things have been happening for quite sometime now, numbers were being tempered with which led for the shares to skyrocket unbelievably high.

Adam had to settle this up before his company gets sued for stock manipulation, and find who's behind it and why were they doing it which consumed almost all of his time and energy. He would come home at dinner time and have his dinner and sleep, sometimes he would come even later and fell right asleep due to exhaustion.

However while he was busy fixing his company problems, he missed how his wife changed drastically in the span those few months. How her tone became more sarcastic unlike the usual, and how she avoided him at all costs that if not for Giuseppe who joins them for meals, he wouldn't see her at all.

He failed to notice how she was being pulled away from him slowly but steadily.

He failed to see the storm brewing right under his nose and inside his house.

Never in his wildest dreams did he imagined that whatever that was happening was connected, he only started connecting the dots after the cancerous cells of doubt had spread wildly in their relationship.

Until they reached the point of no return.

And he blamed himself for it so severely.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Adam was in his office, thinking of possible suspects after the issue of the fake numbers was almost all settled. Then, as if he suddenly remembered something, he reached out for his phone that was laying in front of him on his desk, and dialled a number before putting it on his ear.

"Is someone sniffing around me?" He asked the person on the other side of the phone as soon as the call connected.

"Not you precisely. They're searching for the key families in the mafia. The Protecters and the head family of the mafia." Came a voice of a man from the other side of the phone.

"But they targeted my company?" Adam stated in confusion.

"They wanted to drag at least one of the families out and they only had one clue to follow." Informed the man.

"Meaning my company wasn't the only one to go through this." Adam stated more than asked.

"I'm sure you already know, but you should confront them as the businessman Mr. Knights and not the head of The Protecters. The Protecters should not utter a beep or move a finger until Adam Knights no longer suspected, that way you guarantee both of the families continuation." Advised the man.

"Don't worry, I'm more familiar with using my brain than my fists." Adam assured. "But aren't they becoming more and more brazen each passing day, shouldn't that be dealt with?" Adam questioned.

"They're anxious, seeing that whatever power they have is nothing but an empty shell, with the real owner out there as powerful and alive as she'll ever be, and whistleblower among them, possibly rattling them out to their enemy. They would want to get rid of the thing that's endangering their positions." The man explained.