Book II - Part 5

Unedited.

Third Person POV

Flashbacks (5 years ago.)

"Dad, help me please." Adam froze when he heard the frightened voice of Giuseppe.

"Giuseppe? What's wrong?" Adam asked urgently.

"Please, dad, I don't know what to do. Mom is-" Giuseppe didn't complete the sentence because of his continuous hiccuping.

"What's wrong with your mom?" Adam asked, fear griping at him like no before. "Giuseppe what's wrong with your mom?" Adam repeated his question when the little boy didn't answer.

"We were attacked and mom is at the hospital. They say she may not make it out alive, and Ela hasn't stopped crying since then. I don't know what to do, dad. Please help me." Giuseppe said incoherently.

"Giuseppe, breath, just breath." Adam waited until he heard the little boy doing what he instructed. "Good, now tell me what happened in details." He told him.

"We were shopping for Ela, just me, mom, Ela, and Müller. When suddenly gun shots were heard a floor under us. Mom hid me and a sleeping Ela in a safe place before she and Müller went to face the guys who apparently were searching for her. The next thing I know is mom on the floor with blood oozing from her head and stomach, and soon Müller followed after he run to help her. An ambulance brought us to the hospital where both mom and Müller were whisked to the OR." Giuseppe explained.

"Who's Ela?" Adam asked the boy.

"Gisela Ingrid Knights." Giuseppe answered.

Adam knew right away who she was, he was over the moon for a while. He had a daughter.

He and Emma both decided to keep the gender of their unborn child a surprise, he never knew what they were expecting. So he was so happy that he forgot the piles mess surrounding him from everywhere. Only when Giuseppe spoke again did he snap out of his thoughts.

"Dad." Giuseppe called out.

"Yes, son?"

"They say-" Giuseppe cried silently before wiping his tears off and resuming. "They say mom has a brain tumour, that there's a high possibility she may not make it out of the operation room alive." The little boy informed his adoptive father.

Adam stood frozen in his place, his mind unable to process what he was just told. He didn't know when the phone slipped through his hand and crashed on the floor.

Then in a blink he sprung to the door and towards his car. He was on the road in no time and speeding towards the hospital.

He dialled Jeff with his work phone seeing that the other one was crashed. Jeff picked up on the first ring. "Sire."

"Connect me with Rob." Adam ordered, his tone icier than usual.

"Right away, sir." Jeff knew better than to question his boss, especially when his voice clearly indicated something was terribly wrong.

"What are you going to threaten me with now, young boy?"

"You knew all along that Emma's episodes were not due to the psychological trauma she received from the accident? You fucking knew she was battling with a tumour that was slowly eating her alive, didn't you!" Adam seethed.