Book II - Part 31

Unedited.

Third Person POV

           Flashbacks (few days back)

Emma dialled a number with shaky hands. "B- Ben, please help me." She hiccuped through the phone when the phone connected.

"Emma? What's wrong?" Ben asked, worried.

"Ela- Gisela's in danger, please help me. You're the only one who can help me right now." She pleaded.

"Emma-"

"PLEASE-" she shouted, but then she breathed in to control herself before she continued. "Please, she's your niece! You said you wanted to fix things between us the last time you came to my apartment years ago. Now is your chance. Help me saving my daughter, your niece." Emma pleaded once again.

"Please, big brother." She repeated.

"Okay, alright." Ben agreed. "I'll send an address of one of my safe houses, you can send her there." He added. 

"Thank you." Emma said, much calmer now.

"Ems?" He called out.

"Yes?"

"Can I ask what's going on?" He asked.

"It's better you don't." She replied.

"Okay then. My men will be waiting for her at the safe house." He said.

Emma hummed in agreement before she hung up.

Adam was watching her attentively as she shook and trembled while talking, and just as she finished the call a hint of a smirk made it's way onto her lips.

"Emma what's going-" Adam asked puzzled.

"C- can you please lead me to the bathroom." The same frightened tone and troubled features took place of the smirk, causing Adam's confusion to increase.

Adam was about to question her actions but something about her gaze told him not to.

"Sure! Come." He said instead.

Emma scooted closer to him and he put his hands around her waist, pulled her up with him to a standing position, and circled his arm around her shoulders as he walked her to the bathroom.

The way Emma walked and her stiff yet defeated posture gave out a vibe of fright and defeat, she was in that very moment more of damsel in distress than the invincible A.L everybody knew.

Upon reaching the bathroom, Adam closed the door with his free hand and locked it.

Emma broke free from his grip and walked towards the washbasin, only this time her defeated and dazed posture changed into her normal one. Her stance was back to that of A.L, the one he was used to.

"Emma, what is going on?" Adam asked.

"Just playing a game with someone." She said as she splashed water on her face.