Book II - Part 12

Unedited.

Third Person POV

"What is it, Emma?" Adam said frustration can be heard clearly in his voice when she avoided his embrace discreetly thinking he wouldn't notice.

Adam came into their room and found her sitting on her dressing table, combing her hair. He came from behind her and encircled his arms around her shoulders with his chin resting on her right shoulder. However Emma put the comb down from her hand, and stood up slowly in attempt to create space between them which caused him to lash out.

"What do you mean?" She feigned ignorance.

"You know what I mean, Emma! Just tell me what's got you acting this way for the last few days?" Adam asked, his tone demanding an answer.

"There's nothing wrong with my behaviour I'm just being me." She told him, but her tone seemed unconvincing even to her own ears.

"Are you really?" He asked. "Why are you avoiding my touch then." He said as he reached out for her hand only for her to pull it out of his way. One of his eyebrows rose in challenge. "And you say there's nothing wrong." He mocked.

"I don't even know what's wrong." She to.d him, sighing defeatedly.

"Do you have flashbacks?" Adam asked.

"No, but I keep getting these messages saying that I should stay away from you, that you're bad news. I shouldn't even be telling you this, but no matter how much I think about it, it just doesn't fit." She said.

"What doesn't?" Her husband asked her.

"You're supposedly planning on killing me, but why would you wait five years for you to it. You could have killed me while I was in coma, or when I regained consciousness, or at least tried once along the years. Why would you waste all of those chances only to kill me now." Emma tolls him.

"You trust me that much, huh?" Adam said, his tone monotonous but his eyes shimmering with joy.

"You didn't exactly give me a reason not to." Emma replied.

"I guess I did give you a reason to doubt me five years back, a big enough reason for you to do what you did." He said more to himself than to Emma.

"What do you mean?" She asked, puzzled.

"Huh? Oh, it's nothing." He was as if snapped out of his reverie.

"Adam," Emma called out.

"Yes, baby?"

"Will you answer me honestly if I ask you something?" She asked him while looking intently at him.

Adam nodded his head in agreement without hesitation.

"Are you hiding something from me? Something I should know?" She asked him, still maintaining eye contact with him.

"I am." Was his curt reply.

"Is it crucial for me to know?" She asked him.

"Not as of now, no." He replied, honestly.

"Will you tell me if it becomes a necessity for me to know?" She asked.