Book II - Part 28

Unedited.

Third Person POV

"We need to speak!" Rob snapped, ignoring her sarcastic tone.

"I'm sure Jürgen already told you my answer to that." She replied, all traces of humour leaving her face.

"I don't take no for an answer." He said.

"Well, then, enjoy your stay outdoors. I don't intend on speaking with you just yet." She turned around and was about to head to the stairs when he shouted something that stopped her.

"I'm not bluffing, it's urgent. Something you would want to know." He rushed out.

Emma stood in her place for a while without turning to face him, then she spoke. "Escort him to the living room." She ordered the guards and climbed the stairs to her daughter's room to change her bandage and apply medicine to her arm before she sent her to the safe house. She didn't bother telling him anything or even doing so much as looking at him.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

"So what's this urgent thing you think I would want to know?" Emma's voice came from the entrance of the living room. "It has to do with my father I assume?" She asked.

"Yes, it's about your father." He confirmed. "A secret your parents hid from you all along for both your and your brother's safety." He said, his eyes following her from the entrance until she took a seat on the couch.

"I'm listening." She said, as she sat comfortably on the couch opposite from him.

"Well, for a starter, your father didn't cheat on your mother." He revealed.

"Oh yeah? I suppose Ben being born a couple of years after my grüßer bruder is just a coincidence then." She mocked.

"Ben's not your biological brother, Emma." Rob revealed shocking her.

"What!"

"Ben's your step mother's son not your father's, he's adopted." He said.

"Explain." Emma ordered icily.

"It was your mother's plan, she forced your father to go along with her to safe you and your brother, Ernst. She knew someone was planning her murder but didn't know who or how much did they know at the time, so she gathered the key members of the underworld through The Protectors to help her finding out who were they. She had a hunch on who they might be, but she needed to make sure it's them before she acted." He explained vaguely.

"Did she figured who they were?"

"Yes, just like you, she was quite smart, she was able to piece the puzzle together in due time. She knew the only way to enter their tight circle and to chase whatever suspicions they had about your family away, was through your father." He told her.

"My stepmother is not so innocent after all." Emma smirked knowingly.

"Yes, your mother knew her real identity right after she confirmed her suspicions about whomever was targeting her, so she convinced your father to approach her and pretend to have troubles with his wife. She knew your stepmother knows everything about your family and would recognise your father right away, so your mother had someone giving her your stepmother's daily schedule and found the perfect spot where her and your father would accidentally meet. Your father was firmly against the idea, believe it or not, he loved your mother endlessly. He's never had a proper night sleep after she died, the only thing that kept him going was the urge to protect the last reminder of her. You and your brother." Rob said with obvious sadness.