Chapter 32 : The Reality of Life and Death

Your POV

{A week later}

Everything's been great. My wounds have healed and I'm back up to full health. There's still something bothering me. These guys... I can't decide who I like the best, they're all perfect for me in their own ways. This is too hard. I feel like they'll be mad if I choose one over the other, so for now, I'm staying silent over the situation. There was also another person in town while I was away with the guys. Katelyn. She left just after we got back. Apparently, she was the one calming Aphmau and telling her not to pursue us. I have to thank her one day. That must have been rough for Aph... I know it's all my fault as well...

"Y/N! Y/N! Please wake up!" I open my eyes to see a frantic Laurence shaking me awake. I lazily put my hand on his face.
"What?" I say. He grabs my hand and stares right at me.
"We're under attack." Those few words made me get up so fast that I was seeing stars for a second. Not even breakfast could get me up that fast. I leap out of bed and run to the closet to grab my armor.
"Be there in a second." I say, flinging pieces of armor on my bed, some toppling off. He rushes off, closing the door behind him. I get changed and run outside, D/N hot on my trail.

I run. Run to the gates, still trying to frantically fasten my utility belt. I hear a click and sprint, while fidgeting with my bow. I get there and see a horrifying thing. The guys were all standing at the gate. It was shut. What peeked over spiked my attention. It looked rugged and evil. It's nostrils flaring as it tried to roar at the small crowd gathered below. It's eyes were amber and visibly mad. I didn't know dragons still existed... I get to the gate and I can't stop staring at it. It must've been huge to just peer over. I break my gaze and look to the guards. Their pale faces masked in fear and hopelessness. I have a feeling we shared the same thought. Just when was that thing going to break the gate down?
"Y/N!" I glance at Dante who was screaming my name. I jog up to him while looking at the monster.
"I don't think that's meant to be there." I say with a straight face.
"Same." He says blankly. "It's tried to break the gate down, it's a matter of time until it will." I pause.
"It could easily. Why hasn't it?" I say, almost to myself.
"It needs to leave." Garroth mumbles. My brother jogs up to me with a broad smile.
"Ready for a L/N takedown?" I stare at him in disbelief, then smile.
"Hell yeah!" I say. He high fives me. The guys look even more pale.
"You are not fighting that thing." Laurence says seriously. I shrug.
"You want that thing gone or not?" Nathan replies flatly. I point to him and nod.
"No way. Last you almos-." I interrupt him.
"I know. That's why I'm not getting hurt." I say with a smile. He shakes his head is disapproval.
"Promise?" He says hopefully. I nod. We intertwine pinkies.
"Promise."

I look up to the gate. That things really loud. And annoying. Looks like Travis has a friend. I focus some of my Energy onto my back. A big F/C X forms. It radiates through my new cape. Two ribbons rise from the center of the X, gently flowing in the air. I straighten and they harden, forming feathers below them. F/C particles surround me, creating a bright light. In a flash, wings have appeared. Bright F/C feathers glimmered in the sun light. I look to the guys. They looked shocked but impressed. I look to my brother. Flames now surrounded him, his eyes flaring a deep red. I nod and point up.
"I'll fire shots then you blast him." He nods. I step back and start to flap my wings. Heavy thrusts of air pummel the gate. I fly higher until I come face to face with the creature. It snarls as I meet it. It's black tinted scales hide a muscular body. I quickly whip out my bow and shoot an Energy arrow at it. The creature falls back with the sudden burst of power.

Nathan hops up next to me and stands on the gate. I look back down to see two patches of seared grass below. I snicker and turn back around to see a black tail whip around and strike me in the torso. It collides hard and sends me flying into a lamp post. I grunt and heave for air when I fall back to the ground. I look up to see the guys sprint at me. I look to my wings and see their fine. I cough blood and try to stand up. They're speechless as to how I can stand as they approach me. I wipe some blood of my face and smile. They make frantic excuses, trying to stop me. It doesn't work. I fly back up, anger clouding my vision. I get there in time to see Nathan get blasted with a blue flame coming from the dragon. He narrowly dodges and steps back. Then looks at me.
"GET AWAY!" He shouts. I ignore him and ready my shield. If I can knock it off it's feet, Nathan can blast it. I focus my Energy into making it sturdy. It finishes and I fly up, making a far distance for a run up.

The gate starts to open. Why are they doing that?! I have to hurry... I dive down, the wind working in my favor. Energy surrounds me, my shield out in front. Particles cover me, making me look like a meteorite crashing down. I collide into the creature. A shockwave of Energy waves shatters outwards, knocking it far away. It crashes into the forest, crushing hundreds of trees in its wake. I took this thing for granted. It was huge. I crash down, unable to stop. Thankfully, my shield takes the brunt of the landing, leaving a large crack in the center. I cough blood again and stand up slowly. I make the shield disappear and summon my claws. The ribbons swiftly cascading down my right arm and hardening. The particles retract and I immediately start storing. When I collided with the creature for a split second, I absorbed some of its Energy, making it sluggish and powering me up. Nathan plops down beside me, unscathed.
"Go! I'll take care of it!" He screams pleadingly. I shake my head.
"If only it were that easy baby brother."

I hear the sound of the gate clinking open and turn to see the guys rushing out, screaming my name. I turn back around and look at the creature. It had now risen to its full height. It looked down upon us as if we were all ants. It was visibly angry. Blue flames escaped its mouth. I turn around.
"GET OUT OF HERE NOW!" I scream. They all freeze and look concerned. I grit my teeth and look back at the dragon, now towering over us.

I sprint towards it and fly up, giving myself momentum. I fly up to its throats and swing, unleashing all my stored energy, three slashes making large cuts in it neck. I hit it hard. Sending it back down, almost cutting its head off. It's under belly was the only place not protected by scales. Unfortunately, the blast hit me as well. I was sent flying back. Everything was slowed for a second and I saw everyone. Their shocked faces still looking at the explosion of F/C left in the sky. Stunned and frightened faces washing over the crowd. My brother was the only one looking and running for me. Suddenly, that sight was ripped away, as I collided with the wall. My vision turned and I feel unconscious.

Nathan's POV

Why do you have to be so difficult! I can handle it! I look as Y/N is flung backwards from the impact. Her body hits the stone tower hard, leaving stones and rocks tumbling down. I rushed to catch her, using flames to propel myself. I caught her just in time. She was limp and unresponsive.
"Y/N GET UP! Y/N!" I say shaking her in my arms. The guys rush over to me with shocked faces. I keep shaking her and screaming. I stop when I feel her energy turn dull.
"Y-Y/N?" Garroth says, on the brink of tears.
"S-She can't be..." Travis says in disbelief. I shake my head.
"C'mon sis. Stop playing around!" I yell. I feel a hand on my shoulder and see Aaron's sad face.
"N-No..." Dante says, almost crying. Laurence rests his head on her chest, he jolts back.
"S-She has a heart beat!" He screams. I don't think as I sprint towards Aphmau, who was crying at the gate.
"She's alive! Where do I take her?" She perks up and starts running to her house. The rest of us follow her.