Running on Empty

"I'm gonna end up beating someone's ass!" I said as Peter drew his head back and looked at me with a smirky ass grin.

"What?" I said as I huffed with my arms crossed in the car as we sat in front of the movie theater still.

"Nothing, it's just it's kinda hot seeing you act this way. Who knew Camreigh Brown had this much spunk in her" Peter said letting out a belly laugh.

I couldn't help but change my anger to a smile when I saw him respond this way to me.

"What, I can't be tough?" I said pushing on his shoulder in a playful way.

He scoffed cutely and rolled his eyes, "I didn't say that. It's just cute seeing you be so protective of me" he said leaning in for a kiss but his lips left mine and went straight for my neck.

I giggled until I moved him off of me "No more hickies my dad had a cow... last time" I said making him laugh again.

"So, I like making them" he said going back for my neck when a late reaction to something he said hit me.

"And what does being cute have anything to do with being tough, I can be tough" I said as he shook his head and looked up at the sky trying not to laugh in my face.

"Late reaction much?" He said as I twisted my lips and held in my own embarrassment.

"I didn't say it wasn't possible, all I said was that I thought it was cute" he said reassuring me to stop focusing on the situation that ultimately wasn't going to happen.

Not unless I had to, I don't think i would ever fight someone but when it came to Peter my Peter I might just suprise people.

"Let's go watch the movie" I said quickly changing the subject so It wouldn't completely ruin our night together.

"I got a better idea" Peter said turning the engine of his car and driving out of the parking lot.

"What? Peter where are we going?" I said with a giggle.

"You'll find out" he said smiling and taking my hand as we drove slow down the highway.

We pulled into the old park playground on the other side of town shortly after when Peter cut off the engine.

I laughed slightly and looked up at him "what are we doing at this old place?" I asked when he shook his head and smiled.

"I've been coming her alot lately to think" he said letting out a saddened sigh.

"Come on" he said getting out of the car asking me to follow.

"Don't you remember how my mom would bring you and Sophia here, and she would always make me and August come" he said with a big smile and laugh following.

I shook my head and smiled remembering all of the memories I had here growing up. It was sad to think that it was so long ago and we were all growing up now.

Peter walked over towards the swings and took a seat in one.

"Come on Brown, come sit" he said as I sat my purse on the pebbled ground beneath me and took a seat next to Peter.

He seemed sad, but I knew he had a mixture of emotions running through him with everything coming up so quickly.

"This place feels like another life to me, but it reminds me of way simpler times in my life" he said looking at me with his lips pressed together.

His eyes looked heavy as they stared back at me.

"What is it?" I asked as those brown eyes traced over my body as if he were imprinting the image into his brain for safe keeping.

"I have never found a girl like you in my life. Now, I'm afraid of losing you. Cam how are we going to make this work?"
He said which caught me by surprise.

I didn't expect Peter to be second guessing the situation so soon before he even left.

"Peter? What is all of this coming from? We're gonna be okay, we've talked about this. It's going to be hard but we love one another, we'll make it work the best way we can" I said as he motioned for me to take a seat on his lap.

"Camreigh will you please just ask me to stay" he said as he lifted my chin with his index finger to look at him directly.

His eyes were thick but so were mine, he knew I couldn't do that.

"We should have gone to the movies" I gasped wiping my nose of the dampness from my silently tears.

He laughed a little but then got serious again, "Camreigh why is it so hard for you to beg me to stay" he said pleading with me.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and looked at him with a deep sincerity as one of my hands played with his stubble on the side of his cheek.

I blinked letting a heavy tear fall from one of my eyes but he caught it with his hand and wiped it away.

"Peter, I love you. That's why I can't let you throw this opportunity away. I would expect you to do the same thing for me" I said as he hung his head and took his eyes off of me.

"I don't know if I could Camreigh...." he said pulling me in tighter to his chest as his heavy breath escaped his lungs and he clenched on to the back of my shirt and broke down.

"Like I've said time and time again Peter, I feel like my heart is going to shatter into a million tiny shards when your not around me, I feel like I wont be able to function without you near when I'm gonna need you the most. But this is apart of your future, and if I am going to be any part of it. I have to take this entire situation with a grain of salt and grin and bear it.... if that means you will still be in my life, and love me that's what I'll do" I said as he smiled and rubbed his face back into my shirt.

"There's no one like you Brown, how did I get so lucky?" He said kissing me on my nose and holding me closely as he did for the duration of the night.

When we finally made It back to town, Peter came in with me and we went up to my room, i didn't think my father would care.

Seeing Mrs. Kavinsky was the last person that Peter wanted to be associated with and he knew just how much we loved one another.

We didn't change our clothes, or do anything besides cuddle. Which is really all ethier of us really wanted or needed more than ever as the official countdown to the end of summer was starting and these last few days together made me feel like I was running on empty knowing Peter was going to have to leave me, but I knew it was the right choice in his life to do this and if you love someone like I love Peter you put their needs, wants or even accomplishments above your own.

At least that's what I kept saying to myself to make the transition a little easier.