June, 1971

I'm so, so sorry! I meant to update earlier today, then I stayed at school until almost 11:00pm to help a friend of mine with our project. But at least I have something this week, right? ;)

June 3, 1971

Freddie

John hadn't quite been himself since we weighed and measured ourselves for the magazine, but the issue came out and there were pictures of us everywhere- he always told me that he was proud, because we were finally getting the name Smile out in the world, and people were learning who we were. It was... an exciting feeling, honestly, because people would stop me in the market and ask for my signature on a picture from the magazine- it was local, for now, but apparently the name was getting out there, thanks to the magazine.

We were graduating in two weeks and it was honestly the best feeling ever. I felt like I was more excited than John, but I didn't know what he was thinking about lately- he had been so quiet ever since we had to get weighed for the magazine, and I didn't know what to think about it.

"Hey, John!" I called while I watched him walk towards the front door. "John, wait!" He continued walking away from me, so I ran after him and I pulled on his rucksack until he was backing up towards me. "Where're you going? I feel like I haven't seen you in weeks." I frowned, then he turned to look at me and he looked a bit more gaunt than usual. "You weren't at lunch today... where have you been?" I asked, quietly, while my heart throbbed in my chest.

"I-I was helping Ms Rosario with something. It ended up taking longer than we thought it would." He murmured, looking down at the floor while he spoke.

"Are-are we okay?" I wanted to cry, but something was telling me that we weren't quite right. "We're engaged, John, I need you to remember that we're getting married someday- we need to talk to one another if something's going on." I explained, softly, and he just shook his head at me.

"No, it's nothing, I'm fine." He muttered, then he slung his backpack over his shoulder and he gave me a sheepish smile. "Anyways, I'm going to get going now. I-I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" He hummed, then he turned on his heels and he walked away from me- all I could see was the ring on his finger, and I wondered if he even wanted it anymore.

---

"Farrokh, what's the matter with you today? Why're you moping around and not helping me with dinner?" My mum asked, leaning in the doorway and staring at my moping form on the sofa. "Come and help me with something, please. I need you to get off of the sofa." She crossed her arms over her chest and she raised an eyebrow at me. "What's the matter with you? Where's my happy boy?" She asked, sitting on the sofa and rubbing my calf.

"I-I don't think John loves me anymore, Mum." I whispered and she shook her head with a small sigh. "He... we're engaged and everything, you know, but he's barely said a word to me since the magazine interviewed us. I-I have no idea what's going on, and why he isn't wanting to talk to me. I just don't know what to do, Mum." I sat up on my elbows and I felt my eyes starting to sting with tears. "I am so in love with him, and it's so one sided right now that I can't help but feel like we aren't engaged anymore."

My mum let out a small sigh, then she sat back and she turned her head to look at me. Her eyes showed sympathy, but her face was still stone cold. Sometimes I didn't know how to read her, because she was so quiet and she didn't have much of an opinion on anything- but when she did voice her opinion, she was emotional. Apparently it was something she had learned as a child, that it was better to not have an opinion rather than say too much by accident.

"I don't think he no longer loves you." She whispered, then I sat up completely and I turned to 0look at her. "I just think he might need some space. You two have been inseparable since his dad passed away, and maybe he just wants to be alone for a little while." She explained and I nodded before taking a deep breath. "Sometimes that happens in relationships. It'll all get better, I promise." She squeezed my hand and I gave her a weak smile before she stood up, brushing her hands across her apron in attempt to straighten it out. "Now come and help me with dinner, alright? It'll get your mind off of things." She motioned towards our kitchen, so I got up and I followed behind her.