9: Caution

[Luke.]

Ever since the day I bumped into Calum on the football field, I couldn't help but notice that his gaze always seemed to be on me. Was he planning yet another thing that he could do to embarrass me? Because I wasn't going to let that happen. I wasn't going to let him humiliate me all for the sake of annoying someone, or for getting attention. Hadn't he learnt from last time that it wasn't the best of ideas?

It had been a bit less than a month since the kiss and people were starting to forget about it, thankfully. I really didn't like the way they stared at me oddly or whispered whenever I walked past.

Taylor and I were back to normal, and she was currently busy ranting about how she got into an argument with someone because they claimed that the Ramones weren't a punk band. I, on the other hand, had my eyes on Calum. I noticed how, ever so often, he'd look my way, too, a curious and hopeful expression on his face. I always managed to avoid meeting his eyes, though. I didn't want to get even more involved with this whole Calum issue than I already was.

"What are you staring at?" she asked suddenly, and I snapped my gaze back to her.

"Nothing, just zoned out," I mumbled, looking down at the tray of food on the table in front of me. I had barely touched it - it wasn't that I wasn't hungry, it was just that I didn't qualify that as food. It was supposed to be pasta, but... I don't think I even want to know what it's made of.

She turned around to follow my gaze, and sighed when her eyes landed on Calum. She looked over at me with a slightly disappointed look and shrugged. "I'm not going to say anything, but I'm sorry."

"Not your fault," I grumbled. She had already apologised for telling me to watch out for Calum and I had apologised for going off on her, but I knew she still wasn't really comfortable with the fact that I had a crush on him. She felt I could do better; I didn't want to talk about it.

"Oh yeah, I didn't tell you," Taylor blushed, catching my attention. "This evening I have a date..."

I raised an eyebrow, a slight smirk playing on my lips. "Oh yeah? With who? I hope it's not another psycho stalker this time."

She laughed, shaking her head. "I think he's too lazy to be a stalker. Um, it's Calum's friend, Michael..."

My jaw dropped. "Finally!"

"What do you mean, finally?" she laughed nervously.

"Ever since the day he complimented you on your shirt in year 7, you've been drooling over him."

"That's not true," she defended, but there was some truth to my words, and we both knew it.

"Anyways," I smiled. "I hope it all goes well."

"Thanks," she smiled back, then sighed slightly. "I hope so too."

I nodded, turning my attention to where the aforementioned Michael was sitting with Calum and his other friend, Ashton (I think). Michael was currently aiming a marshmallow at Calum whose mouth was wide open. I laughed slightly as I watched it bounce off of his nose, and shook my head. Suddenly, Calum turned to look at me, and our eyes met. I hastily looked away, feeling my cheeks heat up. I hadn't meant for him to catch me staring (I'm not even going to lie, I totally was staring). Oh well, he probably didn't notice. I hope.

That evening, while I was watching tv and eating half cooked pasta for dinner, my phone vibrated beside me. I looked over, seeing that Taylor had texted me. Well, that's weird...

I unlocked my phone and checked the message.

From: Tay

can you come over?