33: Timing

A/N: yolo

[Taylor.]

It couldn't have been past 8:30 AM when the doorbell rang the next morning. I waited a few minutes, hoping that either someone else would open the door or the person would leave, but no such luck.

Reluctantly, I pulled myself out of bed and trudged down the hall, stretching and yawning. I was rubbing my eyes as I opened the door, and for a split second I was afraid that I had rubbed them too hard.

"Luke?" I mumbled, staring at my blonde haired best friend. "Luke!"

I threw my arms around him, hugging me tightly. He groaned in pain, and I quickly let him go, giving him a worried look. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I forgot! Wait- Wait, what the hell are you doing back here?"

"Um, well, it's a long story but Jenna has family here and I'm staying with them for a bit."

I frowned. "Okay, um..."

"I mean, I would've stayed with you guys, but seeing as Calum and I aren't exactly on great terms..."

"Yeah, um," I chuckled nervously, running a hand through my messy hair. "Luke? Calum's in Perth."

His eyes went wide, and then he furrowed his eyebrows. "Wait, what? No, he's-"

"He flew out last night to go see you..."

"Oh my god," he mumbled, still looking confused.

I sighed. "Come in, I'll make you some tea or something."

He nodded, stepping into the house uncertainly. If the day had already started this strangely, I had no idea how it was going to end.

"So, um, how long are you here for?" I asked him as he sat down at the counter.

"I'm moving back here."

I dropped the box of cereal I was holding, turning to stare at him. "And you didn't even tell me?! I hate you!"

He laughed, shaking his head. "You know you don't."

I heard footsteps coming from the hall, and a few seconds later my mum entered the kitchen. She seemed to have completely missed Luke because she looked at me and said, "You're up early."

"Good morning mum, yeah I slept well, thanks for asking!"

She rolled her eyes, turning around to grab something or the other out of the closet. Luke and I looked at each other before bursting out laughing, scaring my mum in the process.

"Taylor, what on Earth are you- wait, when did he get here?!"

"A few minutes ago," I laughed.

"How are you doing, Luke? I heard what happened!" My mum asked, walking around the counter to give him a hug. "And what brings you back here?"

"I'm staying with some friends," he nodded. "And I'm doing okay. Just a bit bruised up."

"How long so you need to keep that on?" she asked, pouting to his cast.

"About three months, I think!"

"Oh, okay," she nodded, visibly concerned. She always treated Luke like a member of the family, and I loved that. "You do know that- Taylor, does Calum know that Luke's here? Because he's still over there, and he didn't call me so I don't know if he knows."

I shrugged. "Mum, I'm pretty sure he knows."

"Oh dear," my mum mumbled. "Well, I guess things don't always work out the way they're supposed to."