15: Anger

[Luke]

"I feel like I only ever see you at lunch nowadays," Taylor complained as she pouted dramatically at me from across the table. "It sucks!"

I laughed, shaking my head. "That's not true!"

"It is! Ever since you've been dating Calum it's either been you hiding away from him, which I still don't really understand why, or you practically glued to him."

"Well, I guess," I shrugged, looking up from my sandwich to see Calum approaching our table. I grinned at him, but once I saw the look on his face, my grin dropped into a frown.

"What's wr-" Taylor barely had the time to say the words before Calum came up to our table, insisting that he needed to talk to me alone.

"Uh, okay," I answered hesitantly, leaving my lunch and my bag at the table and walking away with him.

He didn't say a word until we were in one of the hallways, standing beside the lockers. He leaned against the lockers and I stood in front of him, trying to understand what was going on. Finally, he looked at me and to be honest? He looked absolutely miserable.

"I- Look, I need- Fuck, I hate her."

"Hate who?" I asked, frowning as I took his hand in mine. "What's wrong?"

He looked down at our hands before tightly squeezing mine for a brief moment. "Olivia. I really fucking hate her. Luke, I need you to know that I really really like you and honestly I'm trying to do everything I can here to protect you. I just need you to know that."

"Where are you going with this?" I asked, my tone wary.

He bit his bottom lip, looking up at me with a hurt expression, and in that moment I knew what he was going to say. But I desperately needed him to prove me wrong. "Luke, I- I need to break up with you."

I took a step back, almost as if his words had physically shoved me. I shook my head, not wanting to believe him. "Why?"

"Because, because, I need to protect you," he explained, grabbing my other hand in his. "Please, trust me on this one. I got myself in this mess and now I need to get myself out of it. Luke, we can still see each other! I just- Not publicly."

"Not like yesterday, basically," i frowned, looking away.

I heard him sigh. "Not like yesterday."

I pulled my hands away from his, and glared at him. "Did you mean what you said? Yesterday?"

"Of course!" his eyes widened as he reached for me again, but I pulled away from him, not wanting to be near him at the moment. "I mean every word I say to you. And right now, I just... I need to sort out some things with Olivia. I'm sorry."

"So you're leaving me for her?" I asked, the thought of it making my anger boil up inside me.

"It's not like that, Luke," he tried to explain frantically. "Please believe me. I just- I really like you, and that's why I'm doing this. I can't let you get hurt by her."

"She's got you wrapped around her finger," I nodded, taking a deep breath. "Alright, whatever. Fine. We're done."

"What?" he blinked, clearly not expecting that from me.

"You heard me. We're done. I don't- I don't want to be with someone who's still hung up on their ex."

"Luke, I promise you, it's not like that! Please... Look at me."

I looked up from the ground I had intently been staring at, trying to keep myself from crying, and into his brown eyes. He looked like he was about to cry too, but I didn't understand why. He was the one breaking up with me for Olivia. He wasn't supposed to be the one crying.

"I'm nowhere near hung up on Olivia. I don't want to be with her. But I have to. It's either that, or..."

"Or what?" I snapped.

"Or she hurts you. And I will not let anyone ever hurt you," he said with a determined look on his face, his jaw clenched despite the tears in his eyes. "Please believe me."

This time, I let him approach me. He cupped my cheeks gently and let our foreheads touch as I closed my eyes and tried to wrap my head around this whole situation. I wrapped one of my hands around one of his wrists and opened my eyes, looking up at him who was looking at me with a worried expression. "Alright. I believe you. But... I still can't believe you're going back to her."

"I promise you, as soon as I can fix this mess, I'll be right back next to you, holding you tightly. I promise."

I nodded, not trusting my own voice. He hugged me, but I pulled away entirely too quickly before walking away. I knew if I had stayed in his embrace much longer, I wouldn't have been able to let go.

I don't know how I made it through the day without crying or throwing myself at Calum, but somehow, I did. Taylor sensed I was upset and offered to watch a movie with me, and I decided to take her up on that offer since I needed a distraction.

However, it was when she left that I ended up breaking down. I yelled and I shouted so loud that my neighbours probably heard me quite clearly, but I didn't care. I was angry about so many things: about how I let Calum go without him giving me the full story; about how I had to act like it didn't kill me to see him with Olivia again; about how I had let myself get in too deep, and so many other reasons. I was angry at Calum. But mainly? I was angry at Olivia.

And I was going to let her know.

>>>

A/N: this chapter is short and all over the place, I apologise :(

What is Luke going to do to Olivia, any ideas?

4K reads wow I love you guys <3