34: Reminders

A/N: apparently you guys don't agree to being compared to pandas :( I need to find something new

[Calum.]

"You missed him by like, 2 minutes. If that."

I groaned, pinching the bridge of my nose. "You're kidding."

"I wish," she bit her lip.

"Do you know where he's staying?"

She hesitated, then shook her head. "Nope."

"Really?"

"Calum..." She sighed. "Can we talk?"

I nodded hesitantly, stepping into the house and following her into the living room. She sat down on my couch and I threw my bag on the floor before sitting down next to her.

"Look, Cal..." She sighed again. "I think... Maybe you should, I don't know, give Luke some space."

"What?" I frowned. "But I need to make sure he's not mad at me..."

"No, Cal, just... Give him some time to think things through. He just... I don't know. It's good to give people some time to, I don't know, to think."

I huffed before standing up. "Is that all? I've got things to do."

She shrugged, standing up again. "Sure, yeah. That's all."

"Good." And with that I grabbed my bag and headed to my room, making sure to close the door loudly.

I threw my bag to the side, rolling my eyes. I knew what I had to do. I sad going to deal with this situation my way.

Cal Luke: hey

I know youre back in Sydney... I got back today 2. missed u by 2 mins.

:( pls dont ignore me

I know I messed up

are u coming back to school?

I guess ill txt u later...

I love you

to the Milky Way & back

I sighed, throwing my phone into my bed. I knew he wasn't going to answer me.

The whole evening I must've tried to call him at least 5 times, but no luck. I didn't expect him to answer, but I wished that he'd just send me a tiny message, maybe a "hey" or even a "fuck off Calum". I could work with those. What I couldn't work with was silence.

----

[Luke.]

"So, Luke, what do you want to do later in life?"

I gulped. Olivia's dad was looking at me curiously from across the table. It was Sunday night, and we were just making small talk while having dinner. Well, I was. Olivia was tapping away on her phone, as usual, paying no mind to anybody.

"Um..." I started nervously. "I'm- I've been thinking about going into music theory, I'm really interested by that..."

"Really?" her mum asked, looking up from her plate. "That's interesting! Do you play an instrument?"

"Well, he did bring a guitar with him," her dad pointed out, and I chuckled as Olivia's mum rolled her eyes at her husband.

"I used to sing, too," I shrugged, picking at my food. "But it didn't really work out too well."

They nodded before moving on to other questions, mainly related to academics and such. I couldn't help but wonder how Olivia turned out the way she did. Her parents seemed like nice people, and Jenna sure was the polar opposite of her... Of course, things aren't always what they seem, but it was still confusing.