Chapter 14: Gemma

I’m shaking. Literally shaking as I drive to Gemma’s. I feel sick to my stomach with anger, dread and just utter disgust about how could Ashton do this? I knew he was sketchy and I always expected the worst from him but this isn’t something I wanted to be right about. I can’t work out why the fuck Harry wouldn’t do something to stop this, it doesn’t make any sense and the more I think about it the angrier I get, I don’t think I really want to know the truth behind it all. I am praying there’s some sort of reason why he would do this but if not then I really don’t know who he is and I don’t know how you can be in a relationship with someone you don’t even know. Someone who can do something like this and it just knocks the wind out of you completely because its so unexpected.

I have to force myself out of the car when I pull up at Gemma’s, I’m contemplating calling Anne and asking for her advice but I don’t want to leave Gemma in the dark any longer than she already has been, she needs to be told and I have to tell her. I nervously knock on the front door, feeling sick to my stomach about this whole thing and wishing I could’ve gone and killed Ashton before coming here.

I feel so helpless about this whole thing, Gemma has always been there for me and is probably the main reason Harry and I were finally able to be together and I can’t even protect her from this shit stuff happening to her. Harry could’ve though. But he didn’t.

Gemma opens the door dressed in sweats and her hair tied up off her face, “Hey, did we have plans? I didn’t even know you were in London.” She says, stepping out of the doorway and letting me in.

I try to give her a smile but I just can’t because I know that in less than five minutes she’s going to be heartbroken.

“Do you want a cup of tea?” She asks, moving through to the kitchen.

“No, thanks.” I say, closing my eyes and trying to build up the mental strength to break this to her. I follow her to the couch and sit down beside her, chewing on my lip. I have to choose my words very carefully.

“What’s up?” She asks, looking at me with a confused look on her face. “Have you been crying?”

“Um, yeah.” I suppose my eyes must be red.

“Why? What’s wrong? Did something happen with Harry?” She asks immediately, concern on her face and her arm wraps around my shoulder, hugging me instinctively. How could anyone intentionally do something that would hurt this girl? She doesn’t have a bad bone in her body, she’s way too trusting apparently.

“Not exactly. Gem, I have something to tell you and I really don’t know how. I don’t want to be the one to tell you this but I have to, and I just want you to know I’m so sorry because you do not deserve this.” I feel like I’m Niall, all over the place trying to explain something that you really can’t explain.

“What is it?” She asks, her lips pulling into a frown.

“Ashton’s been cheating on you for a few months.” I say, my voice cracking but I keep my own tears at bay because both of us can’t be crying.

I watch her reaction carefully, noting how her eyes scrunch up in confusion and her lip begins to tremble.

“Why are you saying this?” She questions sternly, shaking her head at me.

“What do you mean?” 

“Why are you lying? Why would you come here and try to hurt me like this?” She clarifies, her voice is cracking but she’s trying to keep her tone as strong as possible.

“Gem I’m not lying- I would never lie about this…it happened.”

“No- you’re making it up, you’ve been against him from the start and just because things are getting serious and you don’t like it doesn’t mean you can just come in and try and split us up.” She says, fighting back tears as she attempts to glare at me.