Chapter 42: Distance Makes The Heart Grow...Something

"You're really doing this, you're going to LA?" Alice stared at me skeptically, handing me my handbag as I slung my overnight bag over my other shoulder. "What about uni?" She questions, opening the door and following me out into the corridor.

"I thought that I would seem desperate if I dropped everything to fly across the world to see my boyfriend. I never wanted to be that girl, but I think I was just being selfish. I wanted him to come here because I feel like he's the one who doesn't care anymore. But he's not coming here, is he? He can't make the sacrifice for our relationship, so I have to. I'm the one breaking us, so I'm the one who has to fix us." I tell her, letting out a deep breath as we step out of the building and walk towards the car.

"Okay, well have fun. Tell Niall I said hey."

"I don't think I'll see him. Normally Harry's the only one who diverges to LA on their mini-breaks, the rest just go to the next destination and rest up like normal people."

"Oh, that sucks. What time are you going to get to LA?"

"My flight leaves at 10:30, and there's a stop over in London and I get to LA at 7 o'clock at night their time. I think. I don't know, I'm very confused."
"That'll be perfect." She says as I chuck my bag onto the passenger seat of my car.

"Yep, two whole days and nights with him."

"Are you excited?"

"I'm a little nervous to be honest." I admit, the butterflies in my stomach are confused by their own emotions. Most of them are practically singing with excitement just at the thought of seeing Harry, but there's a few stray ones that aren't entirely convinced.

"You'll be fine. Anyway, I'll let you get to the airport. Have a great trip and I'll see you when you get back. He's going to die of surprise when he sees you." She chuckles, pulling me into a hug.

"I hope so. See you soon." I wave her off as she heads back inside the building. I lean against my car for a few moments, imagining Harry was standing here in front of me and about to kiss me goodbye like he has done so many times, pushing me back against the car with his hips and running his gentle hands over my skin or through my hair. I can't help but close my eyes for a second, relishing the memory and letting it fuel my excitement until the sound of footsteps crossing the gravel car park causes me to open my eyes.

Oh my god. I have to blink a few times before I'm certain I haven't seen a ghost. My eyes refuse to drink in the person before me.

"H-h-h-i..." I strangle, looking into wide blue eyes that look as surprised to see me as I do to see them.

"Fancy seeing you here." Louis remarks, chuckling to himself as he steps forward to hug me. "How you doing, love? You alright?"

"Yeah, I'm a bit surprised to see you is all." I shrug, shaking my head in disbelief. "I thought you only had Tuesday off, how are you already here?"

"No...we had today off as well, I flew straight here after last night's show so I could see El for as long as possible."

Well that hurts. If Harry had told me he had three nights off I would've been way more enthusiastic about flying to see him, but he lied for some unknown reason and said he only had two...what the actual fuck? 

"Oh. Isn't that nice?" I say, less than impressed. He rests his arm out on the top of my car as he leans against the window, facing me. I take this opportunity to look at his post-flight messy hair and really comfy looking adidas jumper.

"It is." He takes his bottom lip between his teeth and sort of squints at me. "You know, I saw those photos of you and Matt. I think you're playing with fire." He cocks an eyebrow up at me, judgement clear in his voice.

"I bumped into him, nothing happened. How is that playing with fire?" I defend.

"Are you trying to ruin your relationship?" He scoffs.

"I'm pretty sure this is none of your business."

"But it is. I mean, I kind of always thought I would've been your second choice after Harry."

"Is that what this is about? You're jealous of Matty? I don't have a second choice, I don't need a second choice. I have Harry. Besides, you're with Eleanor why do you even care?"

He goes to say something but closes his mouth, letting the awkward silence sit in the air between us for a while.