Chapter 21: Second Family

“Here you go, love.” Anne hands me my fifth cup of tea today, propping up my pillows for me before she leaves the lounge room and I thank her, but she scolds me for talking and not resting my throat. Robin has long gone to bed, claiming he had to wake up early so that left Anne, Harry, Marius and I.

“Okay, movie choices- we’ve got About Time, Notting Hill, PS I love you, Pretty Woman, Music and Lyrics aaaaand What a Girl Wants.” Harry sits on the edge of the couch, my feet resting on his lap and a blanket covering us both.

“What A Girl Wants? Which ones that?”

“You know with Colin Firth and Amanda Bynes and she moves to London to find her Dad?” He explains, looking at the blurb.

“I do love Colin Firth, but I love Hugh Grant more. I think we should watch Music and Lyrics.”

“Wow, I definitely thought you were going to say Notting Hill, I am shocked.” He teases and I roll my eyes at him.

“It was a close call.”

“I bet.” He pushes my feet off his lap so he can stand up and put the movie in and grab the remotes. On his way back to the couch he walks to the end where I’m laying against pillows, planting a kiss on my forehead and hugging me.

“What the hell was that for?” I grin up at him as he moves to sit back down at the  end of the couch and rearranges the blankets.

“I’m just so happy to be spending time with you.”

“Aw, so cute.” I mock, “thanks for bringing me here though, this is exactly what I needed.” I take a sip of my tea, which is made to perfection with just the right amount of honey and milk.

“I know how much you miss your Mum, so I thought I’d lend you mine.” He winks.

“Thank you, I love your Mum more than I love you.” I tease.

“Yeah I think she loves you more than me, so the feeling is mutual.” He frowns.

“Good.” I nod, turning my attention to the movie.

“Are you feeling any better?” Anne sets her self up on a single-seater couch, dipping a biscuit into her tea. Marius quickly jumps up onto her lap and spills a bit of her tea, she just laughs at him.

“Definitely. Just being out of that room at uni made me a feel a thousand times better. I feel so horrible for being a burden!”

“Oh nonsense. It’s impossible to be a burden on family.” She gives me a sweet smile and my heart melts.

“Aw, thank you so much.”

“Anytime dear, also any excuse to have Harry stay here for longer than one night.” She gives him a cheeky glare and he laughs it off.

“How are your parents?” She asks, clearly we’re doing that thing where you put a movie on and then just don’t actually watch it.

“Um, I don’t really know. They never have service or internet or anything, I sent them an email last week but haven’t heard back, I guess they will reply when they have a chance.”

“Oh no! How lonely, you don’t have much other family close by do you?”

“Oh, I have my Grandad but he’s in London, and he’s gone back to work- which is insane, so I only hear from him once a week or so.”

“Your Grandad went back to work?” Harry asks.

“Did I not tell you? It was a couple of months ago now.” I shrug.

“How come?”

“I guess he didn’t have a lot to do at home since Grandma. He’s still as sharp as a tack I swear, I kind of wish I was still working there so I could work alongside him, like he’s renowned for being amazing at what he does and it would’ve been good to see that first hand.” I say with a sad smile.