Chapter 26: Compulsive Liar

Those two words were all I needed to ruin this night even further. I can feel my blood boiling as I clench my fists by my side, my face turning to stone with anger as I shake my head to myself. He has some fucking nerve coming here.

I move past Harry in the doorway, sliding my hand down his arm softly as I do- just for brief reassuring contact because I know Ashton’s presence isn’t the only reason his jaw is clenched beyond the realm of possible clenching.

Holding my head high, arching my back and retracting my shoulder blades, I do my best to look as intimidating as possible as I approach the boy standing awkwardly in the doorway of Liam’s apartment. His hands are in the pockets of his leather jacket, his hair a windblown mess of curls falling around his face.

“Turn around.” I mutter, ignoring the numb look on his face, he looks paler than usual and his eyes are void of emotion. I see him falter at the sound of my voice, his feet stumbling slightly backwards out of evident intimidation.

“Turn around.” I repeat, signaling out into the hall.

He obliges, dragging his feet back out the front door and I follow him, a nervous glance behind me to see if Gemma has noticed his brief visit.

Out in the hall, Ashton turns to face me. I glare at him,  my brain working over time to think about what to say.

“I wasn’t aware you were that close with Sophia. In fact, in all the time you’ve probably been around each other, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you converse with her. Perhaps you were too busy doing other things on tour. Either way, it’s strange of you to show such passion to celebrate her birthday with her…” I purse my lips, acting genuinely confused.

“Oh fuck off Lola, you know why I’m here. I need to see her.”

“She doesn’t want to see you.” I say harshly, watching his facial expression carefully and noticing the way it shifts at my words, hesitating for a second but then his general arrogance takes over.

“That’s not true and we both know it. She still loves me, she’ll get back with me, I know she will.”

“You’re delusional. She’s done with you, do you really think someone like her would stay around after what you did? Please.” I scoff, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

“Lola, can you for once mind your own fucking business?! This is my relationship, back off.”

“Actually, it’s no one’s relationship. It was yours, but you fucked it up. You made your bed, now you need to lie in it. Whether that’s alone or with Talia is entirely up to you but it sure as hell isn’t gonna be with Gemma.”

“God, you’re such a bitch I honestly don’t know what Harry sees in you. Can’t you just let Gemma be happy?” He strains his voice, shooting me a look capable of killing.

“And you think you make her happy?” I question harshly, trying not to sound completely astonished.

“I know for a fact I do.”

“Yeah, you did. For a really long time but I would be willing to bet that a great percentage of that time was a lie because you were off fucking someone else. You seriously don’t expect me to think you can make her happy again when you’re the one making her miserable? Gemma is the loveliest, most beautiful person in the world and you fucking destroyed her. Do you not understand what cheating does? It completely shatters a person’s perspective on love, and their ability to trust. You’re a fucking dick, I can’t believe you would stand here and act like you’ve done nothing wrong when you’ve done everything wrong. It’s your fault that girl is upset, it’s your fault your relationship ended. And I really don’t think you deserve the chance to fix it.”