Chapter 51: Self Pity & Sleep

Negative Two Days

“Are you getting out of bed today?” The light hurts my swollen eyes as Alice draws back the curtain and I cringe, pulling my bed spread up over my face to block out the light.
“Nope.”

She sighs, “Well, okay. I was thinking about what you told me the other day, about you and Niall, and I’ve decided that it doesn’t bother me.”

“Great, it’s not like I can unsleep with him.” I mutter sarcastically. She’s talking like they’re in a relationship, so he fucked you a couple of times; doesn’t mean you’re going to live happily ever after.

“You should at least check your phone. There’s probably people reaching out to you.”

“I don’t care.” I don’t care about anything. I just want to feel nothing forever.

“What’s in the bag?” She asks, and I know what she’s referring to without breaking out of my blanket cocoon.

“I don’t know. I haven’t looked.”

“What? Who’s it from?”

“Harry. But he bought it before everything fell apart. So it’s basically pointless.” I mumble, rolling over to suffocate myself momentarily biting down onto the pillow.

“You should open it.” She says, sitting down on the edge of the bed and I can hear the ruffling of the bag.

“If I open it will you be quiet and let me wallow in self pity in piece?” I growl pushing back my blankets and sitting up to glare at her.

“Yes. Here.” She hands me the bag, and I put my hand in to pull out the contents, my hands grasp around the heavy object and rest it on my lap. It’s a silver, diamond encrusted jewellery chest. It’s pretty and all but it’s not really what I was expecting. Like…it seems kind of impersonal?

“A jewellery chest?” Alice questions, staring at it.

“Yeah…This is a really un-Harry-like gift.”

“Open it, maybe there’s something inside.”

“Good point.” I try to open it at the crease, but it won’t open. “Fuck. I think you need a key.” I shake the bag he gave it to me in and there’s no key inside.

“How am I meant to open it with out the key? What is the point of this Harold?” I grumble angrily. Just looking at it is making me frustrated now.

 “I don’t know.” Alice just shrugs innocently.

“Can you hide this somewhere in my cupboard, I don’t want to look at it.” I hand her the box and she nods. “I’m going out for lunch with some friends, did you want to come?”

“Thanks. But no.” I shuffle back down under the blankets, hiding from the world. I wish I could hide from my pain. 

What is it going to take to get rid of this constant agony?
It’s impossible for me to think of anything other than him.

I want to text him and see how he’s doing but I don’t really know where we left things.

But at the same time I don’t want him to be okay because I’m not.

This is so shit.

Dear Mum & Dad, 

I’ve been trying to get in touch but clearly haven’t been successful. I have some news that I’m hoping to tell you before you see it elsewhere, though I’m not sure how much mainstream celebrity gossip you would be coming across where you are…haha.