Chapter 25: Sophia's Birthday

I shot a warning look to Alice as Harry’s footsteps slumped down the steps, like a toddler throwing a tantrum attempting to draw as much attention to himself as possible.

My stomach was overwhelmed by that feeling you get when you’re mid-fight with someone, like you’re sick with some sort of ailment and the only way of getting better is sorting out the problem. Clearly in this situation neither of us wants to be the one to sort out the problem, so we don’t look at each other. I keep my eyes on Alice as we walk out the door, and make chitchat about the weather when we’re piled into the van, and the presence of Harry’s security guard only makes matters more awkward.

The tension fills the vehicle because Alice somehow ended up sitting between Harry and I. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

He’s practically sulking, I can sense it without even looking at him. Instead, I stare out the window and probably appear to be equally sulky.

Alice clambers into the back row of the van when we stop to pick up Gemma, now she takes the place of the middleman between Harry and I.

“What’s going on with you two?” She sighs, reading the situation immediately.

“Apparently I can’t be trusted.” I huff.

“Apparently we don’t tell each other anything.” He mimics my tone. Jerk.

“Forget I asked.” Gemma visibly cringes and I turn my attention back out the window. Countless figures and flashing cameras line the street and the first flash of light hurts my eyes, causing me to turn away immediately.

“Great. That’s just great.” Paparazzi is exactly what we need right now. “Is there a back entrance to the building?” I lean forward, turning my back towards the window as I ask the driver.

“No, sorry.” He mumbles and I throw my head back in annoyance. I’m so not in the mood to have my photo taken.

“Just smile.” Gemma squeezes my hand as the car pulls up to a stop. I look back at Alice and give her an apologetic smile but I can sense she’s slightly excited by the prospect of getting ‘papped’ alongside Gemma and Harry Styles.

I could not be more unamused. I actually just want to go home. I can’t stand the thought of a night at a party with one direction and friends when I’m this pissed off at Harry and he’s this pissed off with me.

“Pretend nothings wrong.” Harry mutters before opening the door and stepping out.

“Yeah well you’re good at that.” I bite back, it would be physically impossible for me to look happy right now, so instead I focus on looking indifferent and keep a neutral expression on my face as I hop out of the car after Gemma. Harry stands at the car door, his hand grazing mine as he attempts to grab hold of it. Fuck him, I’m not ‘keeping up appearances’ when he’s that mad at me. I walk past him, keeping up with Gemma who is heading towards the entrance to the building.

I look behind me to find Alice and Harry walking close behind us, before shooting my eyes to the ground and away from the flashing lights. I fucking hate this. This has got to be the worst part of it all. It’s so invasive.

Harry’s bodyguard holds the door to Liam’s apartment building open, and I storm through, my  heels clacking along the tiles in the lobby towards the elevator. I press the button and ignore Harry’s presence beside me, waiting for the lift to come. Alice appears on my other side and I can sense how awkward she feels. Nothing worse than being around a couple who’s fighting. Gemma lets out a frustrated sigh, crossing her arms and walking into the lift when the doors open. Her finger presses the PH button, and we all stand in silence waiting for the doors to close.