Chapter 77: Almost Medicine

Gemma: Hey, do you want to meet today for lunch? I heard you’re back at the law firm, and I still work just down the road. I miss you.

Lola: I’m too busy. Sorry.

Gemma: Really? Are you mad at me?

Lola: No. I just don’t think we have an awful lot to talk about anymore.

Gemma: Well that kind of sounds like you’re mad at me.

Lola: You haven’t done anything. How could I be mad at you?

Gemma: Well I ask myself the same thing. If this is about Harry, which it clearly is, I have no idea what went down between you two and if you did something horrible then that sucks, and if he did something horrible that sucks too but you can’t blame me for his mistakes.

Lola: I’m not blaming you for anything. I didn’t do anything. I have no idea what went down between your brother and me either. But this is exactly my point, being friends with you automatically connects me to him, and I can’t have him in my life at all. It’s too hard.

Gemma: Maybe at the moment it is, but maybe things will be different one day. I miss you Lol, text me when you’re not ‘too busy’.

Lola: Will do x

I genuinely am too busy to have lunch with Gemma, so I don’t feel too bad about bailing. It’s been a busy week, and the weekend was more than welcome to me once 5pm hit knowing I’d be going straight to Matty’s for what will be an excellent weekend of being in his company and just having fun, which is exactly what I need. Except I didn’t leave work at 5, it was much later than that by the time I finally got everything done.

“Helloooo?” I push open the door, which is unlocked, kicking off my heels just over the threshold and dumping my bag.

He’s not in my immediate view in the main part of the apartment, so I venture towards the open door out onto the balcony.

“Matthewwww,” I sing, stepping out and wrapping my arms around him from behind, surprising him.

“Oh hey love,” He turns around, putting out his cigarette and kissing my forehead.

“Aren’t you cold?” I nag, seeing him standing out in the wind in just skinny jeans without a shirt is giving me a cold just looking at him.

“No.” He says simply.

“What’d you do all day?” I ask, stepping back inside because it’s freezing out there today.

“Nothing really, slept most of the day.”

“You’re living the life.”

“I am,” He says, seriously, sitting down on his bed and resting his head on his hands.

“You seem off. Are you okay?”

“Just one of those days.” He says, gulping.

“Well luckily I am here now.” I move his hands so I can sit down on his lap, pushing his hair off his face and looking into his eyes.

“I’m glad you are, soon to be birthday girl.”

“God don’t remind me.”

“It’s okay, you’re getting closer and closer to my age.”

“It doesn’t really work like that but yeah, you’re the old one around here.” I tease. “So, the Zerrie wedding is happening next weekend.”

“The what?” He squints his eyes at me.

“Zayn, from One Direction, and Perrie, from Little Mix, are getting married next weekend.”

“And this is important information because?”