Chapter 64: Drunk In Love

Christmas Day was spent trying to resist the urge to call Harry. I don’t even know why I wanted to talk to him so bad, but I did…about anything, nothing in particular. It sort of felt like I was back in 2010, and I’d just spent a week at Holmes Chapel visiting them and then I would come to London to spend a week with Grandad and intern at the law firm. I remember the feeling of nostalgia for the recently passed week like it was yesterday, and it’s what I feel like right now. All I want is to be back at 3am, lying in his bed and talking with him while his hands made conscious effort to touch me affectionately.

“Have you heard from your parents?” Grandad made conversation over our post-lunch cups of tea. He was reading some huge book in the study and I’d decided to go sit in there while I pondered the purpose of my existence.

“No, have you?” I hold my phone in my hand, twisting it around in contemplation of calling Harry. What’s the harm? Two friends discussing their Christmases? I mean I did leave things kind of awkwardly last night…

Yeah you should’ve just fucking kissed him, though my subconscious looks cheerful with reindeer ears on, she doesn’t sound cheerful when she is reprimanding me. 

“The occasional call.”

 “Mmm, wonder when they’ll come back.” 

“Who would know? Your mother is very unpredictable, much like you.” He decidedly puts his book down, taking his glasses off and looking at me.

 “I’m not unpredictable.” I shrug.

“Well you’re certainly not predictable. I’m worried about you, Charlotte.”

“There’s nothing to be worried about.” I smile sincerely at him.

“How’s uni going?”

“Eh. Not great.”

“Do you like your course?”

“Eh. Not really.”

“Then why are you doing it, Charlotte?” He looks at me with serious levels of concern on his face. Ughhh.  

“I don’t want to start something and not finish it. Besides, this is what Grandma did, and I…I don’t want to give up.”

“You know she wouldn’t be disappointed if you did. I’ve never seen her prouder of you than the day you started working at Smith and Stanton.” I can see the sadness in his eyes just at the mention of Grandma, and it breaks my already wounded heart just a little bit more.

“I still remember her taking that photo,” I chuckle, thinking about the stupid photo of me and Grandad standing in front of the building’s sign.

“You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do.”

“I want to do it, I want to finish the degree.” I tell him, and he just nods quietly, going back to his book.

 …

My plan for New Years was basically to drink alone in my room at Grandad’s whilst watching Bridget Jones, and fall asleep at 10pm. But a knock at the door at 7pm interrupted me from pouring my first glass of Bailey’s and changing into my pyjamas.

 “I’ll get it.” I call out to Grandad as I walk down the stairs to the front door, he’s hiding in his study as he always is.

I open the front door and immediately scream.

 Linda!!!

Her blonde hair is in perfect waves over one shoulder, and she looks as thin as ever in jeans and a beige coat. With a bottle of vodka in one hand, and a bottle of wine in the other, she doesn’t wait for me to let her in, instead barging through and embracing me in a hug.