Chapter 65: Four Seasons In One Date

“Charlotte Jones, you are a horrible friend.”

“Who is this?”

“Seth!”

“Ohhh. Oh not you too?” I frown, I don’t really need any one else thinking I’m a bad friend. 

“I’m just kidding. I just got back to Manchester after being in London for a week and you never, not once, messaged me to meet up.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’ve been a bit busy.” If being busy means watching every season of Parks and Recreation from the comfort of my Grandad’s theatre room while he goes to work every day and I try to get hold of Mum and Dad.

“That’s okay, I just wanted to see you, that’s all.” Ugh, weird.

“Well I’ll be back at uni next week so I will pop round to your office for coffee then,” I suggest, slightly irritated that he’s made me interrupt an episode of Parks and Rec just for this.

“Sounds perfect. Did you have a good Christmas?”

“I did, did you?”

“Yeah, it was pretty good actually. Anyway, I’ve got some lectures to plan so I should get back to it. It was nice talking to you.” He says sweetly.

 “Yeah, you too.” I respond, neutrally before hanging up.  

Just before I can press play again, my phone starts to ring again, but this time the contact photo flashes makes me smile before I even hear this voice.

“I was wondering what time I’d be hearing from you today.” I greet him, lying back on the couch contently as I wait for his response.

 “Mmm you know I can never stay away for too long.”

“Can’t say I blame you, I am irresistible.” I joke, my cheeks hurting from smiling so much just at the thought of talking to him.

“Can’t argue with that. I have a proposition for you.”

“A proposal, you mean?” I tease, and he laughs slightly awkwardly. “Relax, it was a joke. What was your proposition?”

“I’m just in the studio laying down some sick beats,” He jokes, putting a gangsta-like infliction into his words. “And was wondering if you would like to pop by say 5, and I will take you out for dinner after.”

“Like a date?”  I kick my legs excitedly in the air and bite my teeth down on my finger to relax my mouth so I don’t sound too excited.

“If you want to call it that, we can call it that.”

“Well let’s see shall we?”

“So you’re in?” Now he’s the one trying to hide excitement in his voice.

“Yeah, I think that sounds nice to me.”

“You think that sounds nice?” He acts offended.

“It sounds great.” I modify my sentence and he laughs, “That’s better. I’ll send a car to bring you to the studio.”

“Harry that is really unnecessary.”

 “Hush woman, just shhhh.”

“Okay. I’ll see you later then, I guess.”

“I will see you later, and look pretty because you know I hate it when you look subpar, as you so often do.” He teases and I roll my eyes without realising he can’t see me.

“Yeah whatever, I think sweats will do.”

“Hilarious. Have a nice day.”

“You too. Can’t wait to see you.” I sneakily add in before hanging up so he can’t respond

Yet again when I attempt to press play, my phone alerts me to an email notification. Ughhh.

To: Charlotte Jones

From: Rod Gordon; Property Manager

Subject: Lease

Dear Miss Jones,