Whumptober day 24 (drowning)

Q: are you afraid of the ocean?

Pairing: logicality and prinxiety

Patton jumped up and down on the heels of his feet, the sand beneath them was hot yet comforting. “Hurry Logi!” The bubbly male whined. Logan sighed and took his arm. “Hold still, you burn easily love.” He explained as he slathered his boyfriend's arms with sunscreen. Patton shivered and whined once more. “Roman and Virgil are having fun, why don't you play in the ocean with us?” Patton asked with a pout.

Logan inwardly cringed. “Do you have any idea what people and fish do in the ocean?” He shuddered. “I'd rather bathe in ice and get hypothermia than swim in the ocean.” Patton frowned. “But it's been a while since we've been to the beach!” He stated. “Yes and I plan on enjoying my time here.” Logan replied nonchalantly and pulled out a book from his bag. Patton slumped his shoulders.

“Fine, but if I get eaten by a shark I'm going to blame you!” He huffed and ran towards the ocean to join Roman and Virgil who were splashing water at each other. Logan pulled his legs to his chest and sighed, he watched as Patton smiled and laughed as he joined the others. A smile ghosted across his lips, he rested his chin on his knees and dragged his fingers through the sand. “Don't go too far Pat!” Roman warned the giggling male.

Logan lifted his head and frowned. It was a high tide today, extremely dangerous, of course Patton knew how to swim but the oceans current was strong. He slowly stood up and watched over Patton like a hawk, fear prickled his heart an his palms grew sweaty. Patton called for Virgil and waved happily, the dark trait waved back with a roll of his eyes while Roman held him in his arms.

The couple dodged huge waves together, Virgil hated getting wet but today was an exception. He had Roman with him in case things got bad.

He was more worried about Patton who started off to the deeper end where the waves were much more bigger and harsher, he felt scared, like something bad was about to happen. His gut churned uneasily and he felt queasy.

He leaned against Roman's bare chest and whined. “Hey kitten you okay?” Roman questioned and looked him over. “You look paler than usual.” He frowned. Virgil took a shaky breath and nearly yelped as a wave hit them, Roman lost his grip on his boyfriend and staggered backwards, the force of the wave extremely strong, nearly knocking the breath out of him.

When he steadied himself he saw that both Virgil and Patton had disappeared, he felt his heart drop and he immediately searched the water for his missing boyfriend, he called his name and plunged into the water, he later emerged with his boyfriend coughing and gagging water from his lungs. “That freaking sucked.” Virgil groaned and clung to Roman.

He looked around and nearly threw up at the realization. “Where's Patton?” He asked shakily. He panicked and struggled in Roman's arms. “Roman where's Patton!? We need to find him! Roman!” Virgil yelled. Roman called for Logan who immediately knew what was wrong, he swallowed the lump in his throat and ran into the ocean. “Logan please we can't find Patton, the wave was too strong, I almost lost Virgil.” Roman explained.

Without a second thought Logan pushed through the strong current and struggled as he went to the deepest end where he last saw Patton. He called for Patton, fear eminent in his voice, his legs were numb with cold and his fingers ached. He strained his eyes as he looked through the water trying to look for Patton's bright blue shirt under the water.

Patton knew he was a goner as soon as he found that he could not push himself up, the water kept on pushing him down, keeping him under. His lungs burned, his body was numb. He was oddly tired.

A current hit him square in the chest, knocking what little breath he had out of him. His breath turned into silver bubbles in front of him and rose to the surface. In his subconscious state Patton knew this was the end of him.

He was going to drown.

His lungs were tight up to the point where it became painfully unbearable and he took in a lungful of water, in an instant his lungs were filled with water. His vision blurred, he looked up and closed his eyes.

--------------

Logan was quick to act as soon as he saw bubbles emerge on the surface a few feet away from him, he swam towards the bubbles and submerged as soon as his eye caught the familiar color of Patton's shirt.

He fought against the current that tried to push him back up, but Patton was there, unconscious. Pale, and lifeless.

By the time Logan got a hold of his arm the life guards had arrived with medics. The pair soon broke the surface of the water, Patton lied limply in Logan's arms.

When they arrived to the shore Logan set Patton down and checked for a pulse. It was faint. Barely there. Fading.

He cursed.

Patton wasn't breathing. Logan hoped he wasn't too late. Patton lied beneath him, deathly pale looking as if he were dead.

And maybe....

He was.

Logan shook his head, there was still time to save him.

He began performing CPR on him.

Pressing against his chest, clamping his nose shut and breathing air into his lungs.

The process lasted for a couple of minutes.

More compressions. Still nothing.

Maybe it was useless, maybe he had been too late...

And just as he was about to give up there was something.

A noise. Small, but there.

Logan immediately rolled Patton to his side as he coughed out the water from his lungs.

He sighed in relief.

He was breathing again.

Once Patton had all the water out of his lungs he was pressed to Logan's chest. “I'm sorry.” Logan apologized.

Patton clung to him. “It's not you're fault.” He coughed. “Hey, at least I wasn't eaten by a shark.” He laughed but suddenly broke into a fit of coughs.

Logan shook his head and patted his back as he regained his breath.

“Hey Logan...” Patton mumbled.

“Yes love?” Logan hummed as he held him close.

“I think I understand why you dislike the ocean now.” He giggled.

Logan sighed, but allowed himself to smile.

Patton was okay. And that was all that mattered.

“Uhm I don't want to ruin this moment but..we seriously need to take Patton to the hospital!” Virgil exclaimed.

Of course in the end everyone of them turned out okay and unharmed, except that for a full month Logan didn't allow Patton to swim on his own.

Who could blame him though?

He didn't want to lose the love of his life.