(Prinxiety) war and peace

Requested by asinayuki I hope this is what you had in mind! It's actually longer than most of my one-shots.

Virgil desperately clutched onto Roman's hand. “Roman!” He hissed and skidded to a stop. The bruised male sighed and turned around to face Virgil who glared up at him. “You're no going back there.” Virgil said. Roman felt his heart ache, finally taking a good look at Virgil.

He was trembling, bruises and cuts littered his face, his clothes were tattered and ripped, and even burned at the edges.

He had been through so much.

Their kingdom had been ambushed. The king overthrown. The town burned down.

The kingdom was no longer the happy and safe place it used to be.

It was now a burning and ruined land.

People had been captured and enslaved, women and children killed within the chaos of it all. Men forced to work under a new ruler.

The people who had escaped left their families behind, their home..

Everything.

Roman was not going to allow his kingdom to fall any longer.

He had to do something. He was the leader of the resistance that he had formed. He had some power.

He had hope. Something that became scarce as soon as they fled from their home.

Virgil hated it. Hated how the war and hatred, pain and misery, chaos and destruction changed his lover. He hated how Roman became a leader he never wanted to become, he was always a kind young man. A pacifist. Someone who sang with a smile on his face and a gleam in his beautiful eyes.

Now it was as if the old him had been destroyed along with the kingdom, and from the ashes birthed a new man meant to become a righteous leader. A knight. A hero.

He had become someone Virgil had not fallen in love with.

And that terrified the younger male.

“You know I have to do this.” Roman explained solemnly. Virgil shook his head. “You don't have to do this, we can always run away, we can be together.” He replied. Roman pursed his lips and took a firm hold of his shoulders. “Virgil I need you to listen to me.” He demanded. Virgil dropped his gaze glumly, his shoulders slumped. Roman took his chin and lifted it so that they could meet each others gazes.

Virgil's eyes were glossy with unshed tears. Roman swallowed the lump in his throat. “When I'm away I need you to take my place.” He told him. Virgil gasped and took a staggering step back. “N-no.” He stammered. “Virgil please, if I don't do this, all those innocent people will die. Children, the elderly, parents. For goodness sake Virgil families have been separated!” He shouted.

Virgil winced and stayed as far away as possible. This was not the Roman he knew. “Please Virgil. I can't do this without you.“ Roman begged. Virgil felt as if the weight of the world had been placed on his shoulders. It had become hard to breathe, he was exhausted, tired of having to shoulder his pain. And now Roman was going to add-on to it.

Even so, as much as he hated the pain. Virgil loved Roman. Even if he had changed. Even if he was a fool for even thinking about going back to the kingdom.

Even if he had to say goodbye...

Virgil still loved him with all his might.

He couldn't refuse his request.

“Okay.” He whispered.

“I'll take your place in your stead, but you must promise to return or I'll go over there and get you myself.” He snapped angrily, but Roman knew he was afraid. He walked up to him and encased him in his arms, holding him close against his chest.