(remy x deceit/receit) A very happy birthday

Requested by HorrorFan24 I hope you like it! Once again I'm so sorry it's late.

Deceit sat numbly at the table, completely alone. His face held a solemn expression, his eyes darker than usual. In his hands he held his phone, a notification blinked rapidly on the screen.

Happy birthday!

The cheery, bright words on the screen only caused his heart to ache more, he looked around, still, nothing. He knew he should have expected it, he should have lowered his expectations to spare himself the heartache. But he really, truly believed that things had changed between him and the others, but he soon came to realize that he had hoped for it too much. He should have known that it was a mere lie, everything was a lie, and all those words of acceptance and belonging were simple lines read off of scripts played by convincing characters that portrayed heroes and saints.

No one would wish him a happy birthday, no one cared, no one. He was alone, always had been, and always will. With a small sigh he set his phone down and bit down on his lip, willing himself not to cry for something so childish. He found it difficult to readjust to the pain because for a while he really was convinced that he was one of them. A good guy,  someone anyone could trust and befriend; he gasped as a sharp pain pierced his heart, he doubled over and clutched at his chest, his hand grasped onto the fabric of his shirt. What was wrong with him?

Tears suddenly leaked from his eyes and trickled down his face like fresh dew sliding off the leaves of healthy and beautiful flowers on a cool and early morning. He found himself glued to his seat, unable to move, afraid that if he did he would not be able to hold himself together any longer. And so he just sat there, trembling as he tried his best not to break, in fear of causing unnecessary trouble.

And then it happened.

A comforting hand took his shoulder, he flinched beneath the gentle touch and looked over his shoulder, alarmed yet holding a dangerous look.

He was met with concerned filled eyes behind dark tinted shades. “Dee? You okay hon?” Remy asked curiously, a frown pulled onto his lips. The dark trait quickly looked away and hastily wiped away his tears, a dark blush of embarrassment flooded his cheeks. “I-I'm fine.” He stammered unconvincingly, the sunglasses wearing side shook his head and pulled up a seat beside Deceit. “I know a lie when I see one. Literally, you're the embodiment of lies, what's going on?” he asked more firmly this time. Deceit ignored his question and instead looked down at his hands, he picked at his nails and sighed once more.

Remy hated seeing Deceit look so miserable, it just wasn't right. The depressing sight sickened him with his own grief, he cared too much about him. Remy took off his glasses to get a better look at him, and for a split second he swore he saw the familiar glint of tears rolling down his cheeks resembling glistening pearls. He instinctively wrapped an arm around his shoulder to offer some comfort, Deceit stiffened in the one-armed embrace and turned his attention back to Remy who smiled kindly at him. “What are you doing?” he questioned with a raised brow. “Comforting you.” Remy replied with a shrug, Virgil walked in on the scene.

He gasped and suddenly looked terrified. “Remy! What are you doing?” he hissed and wearily glanced over to Deceit who also held a terrified expression on his paler than usual face. “Uhmm, I'm comforting a friend?” Remy hummed as though nothing were wrong. “Remy, but, don't you know who he is? What he's done to hurt nearly every one of us?” Virgil said with a sneer, Remy merely shrugged it off and leaned his head against Deceit's shoulder just so he could tick the anxious trait off. “He's not the Same Virgil. People change.” He claimed in a bored tone, but Virgil didn't seem convinced. “He's going to ruin you Remy, he'll hurt you, and when he does, well you know where to find me.” Virgil huffed and stormed away.

Deceit was disheartened, he turned away from Remy and stood causing the side to stumble back. “Hey, what's wrong?” Remy straightened himself and pouted. Deceit pursed his lips, his hands balled up into trembling fists. “He's right Remy, I'll only end up ruining you if you keep hanging out with me. I'm no good, I'm…” He trailed off as hid throat tightened. “I'm a bad guy.”

The phone resting on the table vibrated once more, Remy frowned and took the phone. His eyes widened as he read the notification, his heart clenched with pain, deep empathetic pain. He looked back over to Deceit who had also heard the vibration, but had been too late to retrieve his phone. “It's your birthday?” Remy breathed out, still overwhelmed with shock. The dark side said nothing, but Remy knew what his silence meant, it was true. It was his birthday, yet he was all alone.

Was this the reason he was so depressed?

Without a second thought, or doubt, Remy launched himself at Deceit and threw his arms around him. Deceit stumbled forward but quickly caught himself. “What are you doing!?” he asked with a deep scarlet blush. Remy grinned cheekily and gave him a light squeeze. “Hey Dee...” He cooed and stood on his toes to get closer to his ear.

He first pressed a kiss to his cheek, and for a second Deceit believed he was going to pass out from how hard his heart was beating. And then, he got closer to his ear, Deceit could feel his breath brush against his cheek and tickle his ear.

“Happy Birthday.” Remy whispered sweetly.

Deceit froze, he was left completely and utterly awestruck. His throat felt tight and his mouth dry, he opened his mouth only to find that he could not speak, no words came out. Remy released him from the embrace and took a cautious step back. “You okay?” he asked worriedly, Deceit nodded vigorously and quickly looked away. “T-thank you...” He stuttered and grimaced as he heard the tears in his voice. “Oh please don't cry darling, I didn't mean to—I just wanted to cheer you up.” Remy panicked, afraid that he had hurt more rather than helped. Deceit messily wiped at his face with shaking hands. “No--you didn't do any--anything wrong.” He explained between hiccups.

Remy took a breath of relief and stepped closer to him. “No one has ever wished me a happy birthday before, I just got too emotional.” The snakelike trait admitted in a low, bashful mumble. Remy felt as though a warm splash of sympathy hit him in the chest, the warmth spread from his heart all the way to the tips of his fingers and toes. “Oh honey, it's okay to cry. I mean, you should be able to feel happy, especially on your birthday.” He reassured with a kind smile. Deceit returned the small smile and sat himself back down at the table. “You do know that you may ruin how the others will think of you now, don't you?” he questioned guiltily.

Remy frowned and sat next to him. “I don't care what anyone thinks about me.” He stated in a matter-of-fact tone. “I choose who I hang out with, I don't care about what the others will think or say. You were sad, I couldn't leave you here to suffer alone.” He explained in a hard tone.

Deceit looked at him. “Even if what they said we're true? What if I really was just a bad person? What then?” he pressed on, Remy hated it. “Stop!” he hissed, slamming his hand against the table which caused Deceit to jump back in surprise. “You're making yourself believe you're this horrible person, but it's not who you actually are.” he snapped at him. “What you think you are, and what the others think you are does not exist. That bad guy is nothing but an act, a stupid façade made for dramatic effect or to thicken the plot.” He huffed and slumped against his seat.

“D-do you really believe that?” Deceit asked curiously with a small tilt of his head.

“Oh babes I don't just believe it. I know it.” He claimed.

“You know what? I'm tired of playing dumb.” Remy grumbled and sat up. “I've had my eye on you since you arrived, and you're pretty darn cute.” He scooted closer to Deceit. “Happy birthday pretty boy.” He grinned before he took hold of Deceit's shoulders and pulled him into a deep kiss.

When they parted ways to catch their breath Remy smiled up at Deceit who by now was a blushing and stuttering mess.

“Now, I'm gonna ask you again okay? How are you?” he hummed curiously.

Deceit touched his lips, they tingled a little, but it felt good.

“I'm…” A warm feeling filled his chest and filled his heart up to the brim.

“Happy.” He breathed.

“I'm so, very happy.”