0.3

•- Lainey Bennett -•

I thought yesterday was bad, but today could prove to be the worst and I've only been on the top floor for less than a minute.

Allow me to elaborate.

I'd woken up late due to a rather intense scolding towards Thea who barged into the apartment shitfaced around two in the morning, and then I was incapable of falling asleep, so when I did, I'd woken later than planned causing me to almost miss my train and when I finally made it to work, I was minimally late so here I stood in front of Austin Wood who was now lecturing me on time management and the importance of making it to work on time.

Knowing that he clearly doesn't take explanations, I stand impatiently tapping my foot and waiting for him to finish his loud scold towards me.

"I don't tolerate a lot of things. I already warned you, Miss. Bennett. You should be terminated almost immediately for your despicable actions."

Whoever shoved a stick up this man's ass, can suck my big toe.

"Alright, so am I fired?" I reply, dissing my eyebrows curiously as my arms impulsively cross against my chest.

He chuckles hoarsely, making me a little more scared than I thought I was.

"Fortunately for you, my sponsors frown on my lack of maintaining an assistant. But should you step a millimeter out of line, don't think for a second you are't easily replaced."

As much as his threat did manage to scare me minimally, I got the feeling he was all talk. I understand to an extent his need to have the best of the best. In a big corporation like this I can entirely understand. However, I find no interest in working for a man who had no sense of humor.

Now don't get me wrong, I know things need to be all business. But it wouldn't hurt to bring out the Michael Scott of the boss.

But alas, I needed this job and I needed a good letter of recommendation should I decide to quit when the timing is right which as of right now is the plan.

"It won't happen again, Mr. Wood."

He keeps his head still, and his face bare.

He says nothing more as he turns on his foot and heads back into the forbidden room that I'd only received glimpses of when the door was open.

"Don't let him get to you, Lainey. Once you look past the dick in him, you'll find a minimally decent human being. And that's just me being nice," Mahalia, who I hadn't noticed was standing behind me, laughs lightly.

I sigh in relief to know the rest of the employees probably expects these things from him. But that doesn't make it any less embarrassing no matter how much you'd think about it.

"I guess there's no other way but up," I sigh, pinching my nose with my thumb and index finger as this morning's asskicking really takes a toll on my mental health.

"It gets better with time," she tried to reassure me as she rests her hand gently on my shoulder.

I let out a sigh, "Do you mind me asking why he's allegedly gone through so many assistants?" I ask, sounding naive even though I have quite a few ideas floating around my head with Mr. Bachelor at the head. Board. Head board.