4.6

•- Austin Wood -•

I'd been staring at Laine's bedroom door for a solid twenty minutes. I don't even think I've blinked since the two walked in there alone.

"You make her happy, you know," her grandmother says, drawing my attention from the haunting wood, "She doesn't smile a lot. Or she didn't. I'm just happy you brought that out of her."

Being entirely confident in myself, I stand from the couch and place the pillow back in it's. I stride across the small space to the kitchen and rest my arms on the island as Evaleen, as I had been instructed to call her by, stares at her granddaughters door just as I had.

"We didn't do anything, Ma'am," I state worriedly.

Not many people scared me. Chris and Eric had their moments and my father had his too, but nothing compared to Evaleen Adler.

"I know. And I don't think you would have gotten very far that couch would collapse before you got anywhere."

I was stunned by her calmness to the situation. She walked in to her granddaughter potentially sharing an intimate and trusting act with her boss. You're never too old to be traumatized.

I recover myself quickly and speak, "I'm sorry that I've caused your family trouble. It was never my intention to get so close to Lainey. It just kind of-"

"Punched you in the face. I know how it is, Austin. You don't want to feel something but you do. And you hate yourself for it because that's not something you think is in you. But it is. You didn't do anything to this family. As far as I'm concerned you made it a hell of a lot better for her.

I can't help but smile slightly. But it's quickly diminished by the realization that she was still alone in her room.

"She needs to get out of the city for a while," I state. Or away from Dane.

"I'd love to get her out of the house. She's always been so cooped up, too afraid to leave Thea and I. I hate that what her father did caused her to grow up so fast and care about Thea and I before herself," her grandmother replies so clearly resentful for the man who put Thea in this city in the first place.

An idea immediately sparks, and before I could shuffle through the specifics, I turn to Evaleen. "Would you mind if I got here out of here for a while, like maybe a week or so?"

A smile crosses her face, and honestly she and Lainey looked so similar it was uncanny.

"I have absolutely no problem with it what so ever. I want her to enjoy herself. Just don't bring her back pregnant I might be okay with your relationship, but I won't be a great grandmother I'm too young for that," she narrows her eyes in my direction.

I can't help but laugh awkwardly before I pull my phone from my pocket. "My uncle owns a restaurant, I can have him bring meals a few times while we're gone."

Her grandmother seats her hand gently, "Don't worry about it. I'm more than capable of making dinner."

I was glad she was't offended by my statement. My head gently tilts to the side, "I think we both know Lainey wouldn't leave unless you and Thea are cared for," I state.

She shrugs her shoulders gently, "Who the hell am I to say no to free food?"

The door to Thea's room opens and her head pops out, "I heard food. Is Lainey done? I'm starving."

Coincidentally, the door to Laine's room opens as well and her and Dane step out with a sort of closeness that I don't particularly like.

"Yes, I'm done. And there's leftovers in the fridge," she narrows her eyes in her sister's direction before settling her gaze on my own.