1.1

•- Laine Bennett -•

By the time we were back to the office, the first snow of the season fell upon us.

Winter had always been my favorite season. The Christmas songs, the hot chocolate, the movies, decorating the Christmas tree, it was all such an amazing feeling. Of course we still had some time before it could officially be considered the Christmas season. It wasn't even Thanksgiving yet.

"Doesn't the snow just make you excited?l I sigh in happiness at the beautiful sight before us.

"It's a bitch to drive in," Austin laughs. He wasn't wrong. I absolutely hated driving in it, but I didn't drive to begin with so I was already at luck.

We get out of his car and the nippy air bites at my face. I just wanted to spend the rest of my day outside but I know I was in no position to do so. I'd already missed too much of work going out to breakfast. But I don't regret it.

Austin was actually an interesting person. Conversation felt natural and not weird at all. We talked about work of course, and we talked about Thea and my grandmother, but I think he knew not to pry too much.

I was never one to openly talk about my parents death. It wasn't anything drastic. I was nine when it happened, Thea was just turning six. It's something I get asked sure, but I never go into details. But it was refreshing to not he questioned.

We ride the elevator up to our floor and immediately part ways so I can return all missed calls.

•———•

So how was the breakfast date?" Mahalia asks as she shoves bites of her salad into her mouth.

I decided to follow the quick tip Austin had given me int he car to tell everyone it was a business meeting that he needed assistance at.

"It wasn't a date. There were other people and I was hardly spoken to," I say, bring my tongue after the words come out to refrain from telling her and Brent more.

"What account was it?" Brent asks, sounding like he didn't believe me. Granted I wouldn't either.

I pull my sandwich away from my face and look around for any hints to a name I can conjure in the spot. With failure I say, "I'm not supposed to say. It's confidential as of right now."

"No offense, Lainey, but the guy doesn't scream trusting. Why would he let you sit in on a confidential meeting?" He pushes the matter.

Mahalia acts for me, thankfully, and swats him. "Because Lainey is a very trusting woman and he can so clearly see that. If he wants her to be at a meeting, you best believe her pretty little ass will be there."

If I didn't already feel bad about myself for lying, now was the time to be. Mahalia was a young, spirited, and amazing woman who stood up for anyone and everyone. I could tell that from the day we met. But it would hurt her to know I was keeping a breakfast with a colleague from her.

Brent shut his mouth, and I felt too disgusted with myself to even be in the same room as them.

"Speaking of breakfast, I still haven't caught up with work. I should do that before Mr. Wood has my ass on a stick.

Mahalia nods, and Brent stay quiet. I'm sure his ego was brutally injured but there wasn't anything I or anyone else could do about it.

I walk back to my desk and immediately pull out my phone to text Thea. I wanted to at least seem like I didn't mind not being with my friends at lunch. I sound like a high schooler, but life after high school is still the same. The cliques, the drama, it was inevitable and unstoppable.