2.8

•- Laine Bennett -•

The workweek has dwindled to a close and I was standing outside of Wood Enterprise waiting for Dane to pick me up as planned.

Having been friends for as long as we had, Dane and my grandmother were as close as any other. He wanted to see her while Thea and I prepped for a night of drinks and according to Thea sex but I obviously can't cave into that idea myself.

"You'll catch a cold standing out here."

I lean my head back gently and bump into Austin's chest. "Can I take a sick day if I do?"

He smiles down at me, "Absolutely not. Maybe if you came over tonight I could negotiate," he raises his eyebrows suggestively.

I roll my eyes and push off of his chest just to turn and face him. "You've tried but you have failed. Tsk. Tsk."

He reaches out and takes my hand in his only to pull me closer. "Come on, Laines. I want you to come over, we can make cookies or some shit I don't know. What's a normal thing to do for the holidays?"

I wanted nothing more than to watch Austin try and make cookies. It would be a sight to behold, but my already made plans were impossible to escape and I hadn't seen Dane for a while and he's only here for a short amount of time.

"I can't tonight," I sigh, our fingers gently intertwining, "I have plans with Brent, Thea, Mahalia, and Dane. If I could, I would."

He lets go of my hand and I feel a sense of emptiness to the lack of touch. "Whatever you want to do, Laines, you can do it. Have a good night."

"Really?" I scoff as he backs away from the conversation. He pivots on his foot and heads towards his car only to leave me waiting in the street alone.

•———•

Dane had shown up seconds later and after a quick conversation with my grandmother and a little bit of prepping from Thea and I, we were out the door.

We were now at the same bar I'd gone to with Mahalia, Brent, and Thea my first week. I'd already had a little more than average but fuck it all.

That in itself was the beginning of Austin and I's friendship. Had he not bought us our drinks, I don't think we would be where we are now. Maybe he shouldn't have chosen that exact moment to be the good guy.

We were seated at a table that was already decorated for the Christmas season. Wrapped around a candle in a mason jar was a string of garland.

"Damn I do love this time of the year," I giggle, the alcohol in my system now taking effect.

"Yeah, it's a real shame we don't do anything for it at the office," Mahalia sighs as she brings her drink to her lips.

The slamming of my glass against the table must has startled the group as they jumped at the thudding noise.

I scoff loudly while simultaneously fishing through my coat pocket. I pull out my phone and squint at the device until I make out his name. At least I hope it is. If I call anyone else I might not be able to withhold my anger towards this information.

He answers but before he could speak, I beat him to it. Take that you bitch.

"I've just been informed of some terrible news, Austin," I say before fixing my posture as if he could see me. Now that would be an embarrassing sight to see.

"Oh yeah? What might that be?" He replies, his voice vibrating the device in my hand. That or I'm too shaken from anger.

"Why the hell don't you fucking do anything for Christmas?" I say I tot he phone, "How dare you hire me and not do anything for the best time of year you uncultured swine! You better be ready by three tomorrow. We're getting decorations I don't even care if you have plans I might go alone we are fucking decorating."