2.9

•- Laine Bennett -•

"Would you just calm down?" Austin mumbles.

We were currently sitting outside his office waiting for everyone to arrive. I forced him to meet me here at an excruciating hour this morning to make sure everything was turned on. Now two cups of coffee in, we were waiting impatiently for them to enter work like any other day. But it isn't.

"It's not my fault you hired a bunch of unpunctual swines," I mumble, falling back in my chair with a huff.

Austin snorts as he moves his desk chair closer to mine. "What can I say, I hire the best of the best."

With a smug look on his face, I felt the need to advert my gaze, but damn. This man could pull off all the weird faces.

I scoff, "You can go back to your hidden little office. You don't need to see the joy radiating off of everyone's faces. You'll just kill all the fun with your strict stick up the ass face."

Austin gasps theatrically and cover's his hand over his heart. "After all the hard work I put into this here office and you degrade me? Why that's just uncalled for!"

"Hard work? You sat over here and watch me do it all! Not even an offer!"

He rolls his eyes while resting his hand on the armrest of my chair, "Lainey, would you have let me help if I asked?" He says in a serious tone.

I cross my arms over my chest and turn away slowly. "That's not the point," I mumble.

I feel him lean in closer but I don't move. It's like I've been glued to this position. "I wouldn't have offered. I'll keep telling you until you listen, I love watching your ass when you work, Lainey."

I swallow harshly as his hot breath tickled my neck. How this man was so capable of electrifying me was the question of the year.

I slowly turn my head, completely misjudging the distance between us as our noses gently brush. "Maybe you should find a new hobby," I whisper despite us and probably a few spiders inhabiting the office.

His eyes dart down to my lips before returning back to my eyes.

"Yeah? Why's that?"

As if the distance wasn't close enough, I find myself falling slightly closer and closer. Part of me wanted to pull away and act like this wasn't happening, but the other part of me, the bigger part, wanted to fall.

"It's unhealthy," I whisper just above silence.

He hums in response, our lips just millimeters apart.

My eyes flutter shut at the closeness of our faces, and I brace myself for what is about to happen.

The sound of the elevator stopping on our floor pulls us apart.

Austin lets out an irritated sigh, whereas I bashfully lower my head in embarrassment. It was becoming more and more difficult to reject him. His tricks were working and I couldn't foresee a future where I hadn't experienced one single night with Austin Wood.

He pushes his chair away slightly as we watch the looks of confusion on everyone's faces. This morning was meant to be spent enjoying the gift of the holiday spirit on the people I work with. But instead, it was spent wondering what would have happened had I given in so the smallest amount of pleasure from this man.