5.9

•- Laine Bennett -•

Upon walking into the house with my tail in my ass, I was greeted by the sound of soft angelic music wafting in from the living room.

My mind immediately adverts to the idea of him moving on in the small period of time I have been gone, and I've settled all doubts in my mind that he in fact was with someone else in that room dining on an ordered meal and dancing to the soft sway of music.

Having no idea whether he'd planned this in advance and removed my belongings to the second bedroom, I make the decision to sneak upstairs and gather my belongings from the master suit if he had not beat me to it.

My bare foot pads on the marble floor beneath me as I walk with light steps towards the stairs to keep him from hearing my arrival. I'm sure he wants to spend as much time seducing this poor woman as I bury myself in tissues and music that could only worsen the pain.

My foot meets the bottom step and I think I am in the clear to speed my way up to equally marbles stairs, but the sound of a clearing throat slowly draws my head to the side.

"If you wanted to sneak upstairs, you shouldn't have let the door close with a bang," Austin laughs so effortlessly as his tall frame rests carefully on the entryway that separates the narrow hall between the foyer and living area.

"Sorry. I didn't want to bother you and whoever you could possibly have in there," I nod in the direction of the living room but keep my voice monotone to conceal all the anger searing inside of me.

His eyebrows furrow together and I can't help but turn away. I didn't want to look at him. He was a beautiful sight to behold but rejection would hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't bare that sort of pain after a day of intense thought and self appreciation.

"Come with me, Laines," he sighs, breaking our silent tension. He outstretched his hand but his touch was too much to handle. I place my belongings to top of the steps and cross my arms over my stomach to both show I did not want to do this, and also to refrain from vomiting all over the place.

He doesn't seem to take my action as rude but instead accepts my unwillingness to touch him at such a time.

I follow him down the hall and past the living room where there was in fact classical music ringing out of the speakers that could probably cause an earthquake if it was at max volume.

We make our way to the dining room and I stop in my tracks with a dumbfounded expression on my face.

The table was set perfectly with a white clothed cover, and candlesticks lit with ease. The lights were dimmed, only giving the many candles scattered about to have any light to see. Resting on the table was two perfectly polished plates and a glass of champagne filled to the perfect amount. Austin steps to the table and removes the metal bowl covering the food to reveal perfectly sliced peanut butter and jellies.

I remained silent as my mind settles on the scene. It was something else to have a dinner set sup like this, but another to have a child's meal to devour in short time.

"I know the jelly won't be as good as the raspberry kind your grandmother makes, but I couldn't exactly have it shipped in by the time I needed so I settled for store bought. And turns out, it's a hell of a lot harder thank you'd think to cut these sandwiches to squares. I swear, I don't know how you get it perfect every day."

I glance to Austin, still completely shocked at what was out in front of me.

My moment of silence breaks as the protective switch in my body flicks.

"Why are you doing this, Austin?" I ask with a hint of rage because I couldn't imagine Austin Wood apologizing for his behavior.

Austin loops around the table and stands tall in front of me. With his hands taking my own, he takes in a deep breath.