2.3

•- Austin Wood -•

I was sitting in a conference call with one of my top investors. It was difficult to pinpoint when I dazed off, but somehow I had. I was tapping the end of my pen on my lip as I stared out the large window in my office. The snow was falling at a rapid place and all I could think about was Lainey. She didn't know how much it meant to me to be able to do the things I'd missed out on as a child. Building a snowman was something so easily obtainable, that I was shocked I'd never done it. Maybe not as shocked as her winter loving self.

"Austin," I hear but not registering it properly until the sound comes again, "Austin."

I turn to my computer and see a stern look from the man in charge of a good portion of my money here.

"What's got your thoughts somewhere else, boy?" He asks, leaning back in his chair gently.

I toss my pen to side and straighten myself up. "My apologies. I don't mean to be rude," I state.

"I was just saying, the paperwork we needed about these past month's reports were never faxed over. We need them by this Friday before we send in our balance."

I nod my head and jot it down on the calendar underneath my computer.

"Alright, I'll get them sent over as soon as possible," I reply, trying to sound as professional and equally concerned about my lack of working today in particular.

The conference call ends and I step outside my office to see Lainey and her friend conversing between themselves.

"I hate to cut short your little gossip fest," I say, cussing Laine to turn towards me almost immediately, "but I need this month's reports faxed to our investors."

Lainey furrows her eyebrows, "I gave you the reports to sign so I could copy them and have them sent."

"Clearly I didn't get them, Laines."

She lets out a huffed sigh before turning to her computer. I'd entirely forgotten her friend was standing in front of her desk, but I also couldn't care any less.

"I'll print them out again but it'll take a while," she turns back to me, an apologetic smile on her lips.

I nod my head gently and disappear back into my office.

I wasn't pissed at her. Just myself for getting so caught up in a silly old desk to even remember I had deadlines myself. I might not be doing the work myself anymore, but I was signing off on paperwork and making sure everything was in on time. It was my one job and Laine Bennett was coming between that. But as much as I wanted to hate it, I just couldn't.

•- Laine Bennett -•

"Did he just call you 'Laines'?" Mahalia asks me as I ready the paperwork to be reprinted.

I'd gotten used to our first name basis, especially over the weekend, so it flew over the head like an airplane.

Once the printer beside me started its poor long journey of spitting out reports, I turn back to Mahalia and shrug.

"It's easier to be on a first name basis when we work so closely," I shrug my shoulders.

My lying abilities were getting too good for my own liking, but there wasn't anything I could do about it. I wanted to tell her and Thea both but the option was off the table. It was out in space actually.

I didn't want them to scold me about my choices as much I scold myself. I was even debating changing my so called reward. My paycheck was already at a higher amount than it should be. I wasn't going to mooch off of my boss just for not sleeping with him. But this particular thought is to be saved for a later date.