3.6

•- Laine Bennett -•

Christmas was fast approaching and I was beyond ready for the holiday to come.

But as my final week in the office of this year, I had intended to spend every free moment preparing for the party this Saturday. I'd had most of it arranged, and Mahalia and Brent agreed to help me after work on Friday to arrange everything but I couldn't help but want it to be absolutely perfect.

On this particular Wednesday, the office was dragging their feet around with no work. We'd managed to gather as much projects as we could before the new year. But because everyone was shut down for the the rest of the year, we were basically bullshitting our way through paychecks.

With my head rested in my hand, I was finishing up my final Christmas shopping. I'd had just about everyone figured out, but I was stuck at a dead end searching for something for Austin.

I let out a loud huff just as Satan himself speaks up, "Shopping when you should be working? I should fire you."

I look up at him and tilt my head carelessly. "Suck a dick."

"If you had one, I would," he winks, making me roll my eyes.

I don't reply as I go back to searching for a gift for him.

I'd never had to buy gifts for any male except for Dane. And even then my gifts were mostly humorous.

Was I even supposed to get him something? Was that a thing I should do? I don't care I'm doing it. We're friends after all.

"When's the interview?" He sighs, leaning against my desk casually.

I move from my amazon tab and onto his digital planner, "Half an hour," I reply.

I did my job. Sometimes.

"You don't mind sitting in there with me, right? I don't want to say anything stupid."

I snort unattractively, "If I'm in there with you, that's all you say."

He shrugs his shoulders gently before leaning in closer to my ear, "Maybe I just want something to admire."

I turn slightly, our faces inches apart. We'd always managed to get in this situations almost as quick as I run to the dirge the second I get home.

"Well when you put it that way, I guess I just can't say no," I roll my eyes as I pull back.

•- Austin Wood -•

Lainey pushes open my office door slowly with a man in two. I immediately stand from my office chair and straighten my suit before extended my hand out.

"Jace Connors," he greet professionally.

I motion towards my couch kindly, "I'm going to take a guess and say Miss. Bennett has already asked if she could get you anything," I say, looking over to see Lainey smiling politely.

Man she could fake a smile and still look as beautiful as ever.

"Yes, she did. Your hospitality is tremendous, thank you."