3.3

•- Laine Bennett -•

As I step onto our floor, I feel my chest tighten. All signs of Hannah were gone, but I couldn't be completely sure.

I walk over to my desk and drop my belongings before picking up my phone and calling into his office. It went straight to voicemail.

I bite my lip as I frantically twist my head to see if anyone would know if she left or not but my conversations here were limited to just Mahalia and Brent so any luck do that would just cause a whole other controversy that I don't want to be the center of.

As I buck up all the nonexistent courage I have, I walk to his door and knock gently on the wood separating us. There was no sound in reply.

I breathe softly before pushing the door open slightly.

Austin was laying on his couch with one arm dangling off the furniture. His hair was ruffled greatly, and he looked to be lost in thought.

I didn't want to bother him so I turn on my foot to leave but his voice stops me.

"You deserve to know the story, Lainey," he says as he titles his head in my direction, "Please let me tell you."

After a millisecond of consideration, I nod my head. A sympathetic smile crosses his face as he slowly reaches out to me. I take his hand in mine and kick my shoes off my feet.

He pulls me gently to his side and I carefully lay beside him.

Austin pulls me closer, as if it was any more possible and he presses a soft peck to my forehead.

In order to calm the anxiousness running through me, I play with the button on his dress shirt.

"Hannah was my assistant for three years, Laines," he sighs gently as he pushes his forehead on mine, "Things happened. Things that were never planned to."

I take a deep breath, the smell of his cologne tainting my nostrils entirely.

"The first time was a drunken mistake. But firing her wasn't an option. The second time, I'd blame on anger, resentment, and last time was her blackmail. She had things over me. One of the perks of being an assistant maybe, I don't know. She got pregnant, Laines. And I thought it was mine, she convinced me it was mine. I payed for her appointments, for the clothes, for everything. Everyone around me told me the timeline didn't add up. We hadn't slept together in almost a year. But it felt like it's been so little time."

Austin pauses and takes some time to piece together his thoughts. I wouldn't rush him. If he felt the need to tell me, then it was for his own reasons and it was rude to interrupt.

"I started piecing it together. She was pregnant with my brother's baby."

My eyes widen at his words, and because curiosity took a hold of me I say, "I didn't know you had a brother."

He chuckles depressingly as he situated our bodies to a more comfortable position.

"A lot of people don't. When your brother has been sleeping with the same woman as you, you tend to keep it a secret. But she was more focused on the fact that I had a public name. If it came out that I was the father, then I'd be the talk of the city for knocking up my assistant. When the baby was born and the test was demanded she kept telling me she's out our relationship. Out that we were sleeping together. I called her bluff but clearly it didn't work out in my favor. She did it anyways."

My anxious fumbling with his shirt button causes it to come undone but neither of us were focused on that fact, "I'm sorry, Austin," I whisper as I press my forehead to his chin, "Why did you make a deal with me, when I could do the same?"