Chapter 1

As the night deepened, the sky was shrouded in a blanket of darkness, with only a handful of stars faintly twinkling through the glare of city lights. The two companions, on their way back to their grand mansion, were enveloped in a hushed stillness that mirrored the somber atmosphere outside. They had just left an opulent party and the memory of the lavish affair lingered in their minds as they rode in silence.

The older man cast frequent glances at the jet-black-haired male through the rear-view mirror. He appeared lost in a deep reverie, his thoughts hidden behind a veil of incomprehensible expression. Hoseok, the elder of the two, was aware that the brooding silence was a harbinger of something ominous. He could only guess the nature of the young man's inner turmoil, but he suspected it was far from benign.

Hoseok broke the uneasy silence by calling out Jimin's name. But his attempt to initiate a conversation was met with an abrupt shutdown from Jimin. "I don't want to talk about it," he declared in a tone that brooked no argument. However, Hoseok was not one to back down easily, so he persisted, undeterred.

"Let it be," Hoseok pursed his lips together in a thin line, "There is nothing we can do about it" He tried to ease the bile that was building up inside of Jimin.

Jimin echoed Hoseok's words in a tone of disbelief. "Let it be?" he repeated incredulously as if the notion were utterly preposterous.

"He is fucking a girl of his son's age" His voice boomed with anger at the unconscionable act of his father.

"It hasn't been a year since his wife died" Jimin seethed as the image of his father grinding with his mistress at the party flashed into his mind.

Hoseok empathized with Jimin's anger, recognizing the legitimacy of his feelings. He also knew that there was little he could say or do to ease his friend's distress. With a heavy heart, he let out a deep sigh, acknowledging his own powerlessness in the face of Jimin's pain.

"It's disgusting, I feel disgusted," Jimin's chest heaved up and down as he spat those words.

"Jimin, I know how disturbed you are with this entire situation," Hoseok began glancing back at him.

He conceded Jimin's frustration with a note of understanding. "I can see why you'd be angry," he said. "But let's face it, what can we really expect from him? He was never loyal to your mother." The remainder of his father's infidelity only served to fuel Jimin's resentment, leaving him feeling even more frustrated and defeated in the face of his father's patronizing behavior.

He felt remorseful for his mother. She had spent her entire life waiting for a man who never loved her. Since his childhood, Jimin watched his mother drown herself in alcohol in her grief and eventually, the consequences of her alcoholism caught up to her as a liver failure that took her life.

Jimin cursed himself for being a mere bystander to his father's debauchery just like how he was to his mother's destruction 

"You cannot blame yourself for what happened Jimin, you know that. It's not that you didn't try and help your mother..." Speaking to him, Hoseok turned his head around to take a better look at Jimin's face.

 "You turned your entire mansion into rehab, then into a hospital...." Hoseok paused noticing Jimin's eyes stretching beyond its limit and before he could register what was happening Jimin yelled.

"Look out!"

The car came to an abrupt halt and both of them were thrown forward as the result. They groaned due to the impact but luckily both of them had their seat belts on therefore none of them were injured.

Hoseok's voice was tight with panic as he spoke, his words tumbling out in a rush. "I think I hit somebody," he said, the weight of his words hanging heavy in the air. Without hesitation, both men lifted their heads up to assess the situation, their eyes scanning the darkness for any signs of movement.