Filling The Void | Chapter One | Tumbling Hearts

As I lay in bed staring up at the ceiling I clutch the phone up to my ear, listening to my best friend as she whines about the uncomfortable leather seats in her dad's car.

"I'm so sick of Georgia already! I want to come home!" She complains.

I can just see her now, sprawled out in the back row of their Honda SUV, taking up half the room with her snacks and overpacked suitcases. Her hair was probably sporting it's fifth style of the whole trip, her - unable to make a choice and keep to it for longer than an hour.

I laugh and flip over on my stomach, "Shut up, you're almost at the border!"

Kaitlyn had been on the road all day with her family, driving from Georgia to Santa Barbara. It was home to us, the beach, surfer boys and endless fruit bowls. Summers were for bike rides, long summer nights and bright flip-flops. Not long distance calls across the country.

"I know I know!" She squeals, snapping me out of my trance, "I still get to see you when we get home right?"

"Yep!" I confirm, making my way to the vanity. I can feel the plush carpet under my bare feet, "How much longer?"

"Thirty minutes and I'll be home free!" She chimes, "Back in the California sun with the-"

Before she can finish a deeper voice cuts in and says, "Can you shut up?"

I watch my reflection in the mirror but focus on the call, zoning out as I hear her talking on the other line. When she stops I sigh, "I thought your dad was used to us by now."

I can practically hear her eye-roll as she groans, "No, It's Ryder. Look I gotta go, he's being incessant on having a 'peaceful nap'...whatever that means."

I raise my eyebrows and play with my hair in the mirror, ignoring her remarks about her brother, "Okay well I'll see you soon."

"en attendant de nous revoir!" She exclaims

I laugh and repeat, "Until we meet again." In English, before she hangs up.

Kaitlyn had been adamant on being the star student in her French class, so the whole summer I spent at least an hour a day helping her learn French, that, of course, was her favorite line.

Until we meet again. It was beautiful and yet seemed annoying when the one saying it was thousands of miles away.

Kaitlyn has been my friend for a long time and while I was used to them going on vacation during the summer, usually I went with. So when Mrs. Nicholson suggested they do it as a family thing I kind of felt left out in the cold.

But Kaitlyn has assured me they'd be back soon and today was the day. I'd see my friend again.

Glancing at the clock I realize how much time has passed, me being on the phone. It had been roughly three hours of talking with her and after trying to flip some sense into my messy hair I decide a bun will have to do.

This summer had treated me well, at least I thought it had. I grew my hair out and made an effort to get in shape. I hadn't been on human growth pills or anything but my B cup and need for bigger shorts would beg to differ. My girl problems didn't get any better either. Pms has been a pain and dad made a fuss when I asked for birth control for my cramps. When I'd asked him to take me to the pharmacy he got the wrong idea...

"Dad, can we go into town today? I need something."

looking up from where he'd been slicing himself an orange he arcs a brow.

He looked casual today, swim trunks on, brown board flips to match. His expression looks like it usually does, mouth curled up in question, eyes narrowed, "-and what is this something?