Filling The Void | Chapter Eleven | Things of The Past

Ryder's stopped riding with us.

It probably had something to do with Kaitlyn and him being on non-speaking terms for the past two days, which I couldn't blame them for.

However, I could blame Kaitlyn.

As we sat in the two-person booth, both sipping on our milkshakes, I watched her. She was nervous under my gaze and it filled me with a power I hadn't had in days.

I'd been trying to get her to tell me what had gone down this past summer when she went away but she hasn't budged.

She mentioned something about Natalee pushing her back in Georgia, how it had been the thing to make her realize who she really was - but that's always when it stopped.

All my life I'd known my best friend to stand up for herself, for heaven's sake she slapped her own brother. Though it seemed like when it came to Natalee and her confrontation, she became a different person entirely.

"What's going on Kait?" I ask desperately, my hands wrapped around the fancy shake glass.

She sighs, biting her lip as she plays with the napkin on her lap. She doesn't speak, but it seems like she's trying to form the words in her head so I back off for a minute.

I'd been backing off a lot lately. We haven't been hanging out as much, and when we do it's not like usual, there's always an obvious tension and both of us know it's because of this.

"We were friends." She whispers, her eyes still glued to her lap, "I knew her before Ryder ever did. We met at the library when I went for the book drive. I thought she was sweet and nice, and I missed you...so we exchanged numbers."

Finally, she looks at me. She sighs, shaking her head, "About a month into us hanging out she met Ryder. We would have sleepovers and I'd find her gone in the middle of the night. I wouldn't go searching for her because I thought she was just in the bathroom."

Her eyes fall from mine to the parking lot outside, "But one night I heard laughing."

I could see where this was going and as I watched Kaitlyn stare at the passing cars I didn't even recognize her. The fear and hurt plastered on her face along with disgust was something I'd never seen before.

"You don't have to continue," I say, "I get it-"

She holds a hand up, "No, you don't."

Her sigh leads her back into the story and her eyes grow distant as she replays the memory.

"I followed the voices, they were hushed but I found them. They were in my brother's room, under the blankets."

Purple hair and pink tacky lip gloss flash across my vision as anger surges up in me to defend my best friend.  Then I remember that Natalee's not the only one who did wrong.

"They slept together, Aspen. My brother slept with the only friend I had all summer."

My mind is empty as I take in her words, the privacy of the shop seeming a lot less private now that the truth had come out.

"Natalee asked me if I was okay with it."

Kaitlyn looks up at me and I open my mouth, "What did you say?"

I don't know why I asked, I don't even know what made me feel like I needed to hear it.

Her eyes grow hard, "I said no."

Swallowing I lean back against the leather.

"I hated her Asp, she claimed to be my friend when really she just wanted my brother. The worst part was that when I disproved she tormented me. She bullied me to the point where I had to leave the house when she came around." She swipes the hair out of her eyes and looks up at me, "Ryder just let it happen...and he's doing the same thing again."

Rubbing my forehead I sigh, "Kaitlyn how did you-."

"That's why I was pushing you toward him so much. I didn't want to lose you and if you did have the desire to be with him - I wanted you to know it was okay."

A couple of seconds of silence pass as I sit there, internalizing what she's said. After a while, she shrugs, an unbothered look on her face. "We made up, I forgave him and he threw it away." She looks down at the floor, "It's his decision."

"He's your brother Kaitlyn! You shouldn't- he shouldn't."

She scoffs, "Try telling him that."

She sips her vanilla shake, popping the cherry in her mouth to signal her story being over.

However, all I can focus on it the suggestion she's just made and boy did she know I would go through with it.

I'd tell her halfwit of a brother what a big mistake he was making.

Thanks for reading!

Also, I'm sorry if you're reading and the story isn't matching up. I'm currently trying to edit :)