Filling The Void | Chapter Eighteen | Almost

"So you like action figures?"

Sebastian's eyes widen and he freezes, "Why? Where did you see them? God, I swear it wasn't me it was Jack."

He stands, me laughing as he searches the shelf I'd directed him to. He grabs three of them and his jaw ticks before he says, "I'm going to kill him later for this."

I snicker, swinging my feet back and forth as I spin in his desk chair. "It's not that bad. At least you have siblings who'll tease you. At least you aren't alone."

He nods, sitting on the edge of the bed, "You feel alone?"

His words hit me and I find myself sitting up straight, my eyes meeting his. I hadn't meant to vent, or say that out loud - but I was here and he was listening.

"Sometimes. I guess all I've ever really had are great neighbors."

"And now their fighting?"

I nod, thankful that I didn't have to explain it. My eyes snap up to his, "How do you know Ryder and Kait are fighting?"

"It's pretty obvious, Ryder's been slacking in math, he's super sad all the time and anytime he sees you guys he grows cold. It's almost like having Natalee isn't enough."

At the mention of her name, I make a sound of disgust.

Bash smiles at this, "Not a fan of her?"

I laugh, "Who is?!"

He chuckles, stretching his legs out so his feet hit the edge of the rug. "I hope my mom wasn't giving you a hard time, I just got out of a relationship about three months ago. It wasn't anything big I just-"

"You don't have to explain yourself," I say, smiling as I stand up from the chair. I join him on the edge of the bed, the mattress morphing underneath me, "I get it."

He sends me a small smile, thank you in his eyes as he leans forward and kisses me on the forehead. When he pulls away his eyes catch mine and for that one moment I lose myself in the green.

"You're the best, you know that?" he whispers, his voice husky as he grabs my hand.

I release a breathy laugh, "You tell me every day, how could I forget?"

His thumb runs over my knuckles once before a knock sounds at the door. Sebastian groans and lets his head fall onto my shoulder before murmuring, "Do you think we can skip it?"

"Seeing as Jack is adamant on me trying your dad's famous mashed potatoes....I don't think so."

He nods, sitting up and lifting me from the bed, "Fine, but if you'll listen to jack then listen to me when I say they aren't that good."

Downstairs everything is as it had been, except this time the living room is empty and instead the huge kitchen island is full.

I marvel at all the food and wonder if this had been just for me or if feeding two guys and a ten-year-old always required this.

Bash squeezes my hand, probably mistaking my amazement for fear. "You've already met most of them, my dad's easy...don't worry."

As if sensing his son's presence he spins around. Things I notice right away are his eyes, they look just like Sebastian's and it isn't until I glance at Jack that I realize his dad had only passed down the gene to Bash.

Other than that, their build was very similar. Tall, lanky but somehow athletic looking at the same time.

"You must be Aspen. Welcome to the Trey residence."