Filling The Void | Chapter Five | Sebastian The Crab

After Kaitlyn told me she wanted to spend the night it was no surprise to me why. Ryder would be there, and honestly, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him either.

Kaitlyn had expected him to step back and look at the bigger picture today and when he hadn't, she was disappointed. A small part of me was also, the fact that he only seemed phased by what had happened for a matter of seconds.

I didn't even have a reason to be mad...I don't. He's not mine, but part of me feels as though, in a way he kind of was. We were friends and friends paid attention to how each other felt.

"Okay, why do you have so many cute dresses and you never let me wear them?" Kaitlyn whines, bringing me back to the present, where she's currently raiding my closet.

I shrug, despite her facing away and hop up from my position on the bed, "um, nowhere to go?"

"Please," She snickers, "There are tons of parties. Hillwood's known for them. I heard Calvin's throwing a major hit or miss back to school party tonight." She looks over her shoulder at me before saying, "We should go."

I raise my brow, "Calvin Thompson? As in the senior?" She nods and I laugh, "The one who's had a thing for you since freshman year Calvin!"

She rolls her eyes upon turning around and I see her cheeks redden, "I know I know but-"

"You've been brushing him off for like...ever! What changed?!"

She bites her lip, messing with the hem of the dress she's pulled out, "I guess I just," She pauses, "Saw how nice he was."

Before I have a chance to ask any more questions she brushes whatever she's feeling off and returns to the clothes, "I want the red one. That's that. "

I raise an eyebrow, "So you're really gonna go?"

She shakes her head in disbelief and laughs, "We're going together Asp, now pick out a dress for yourself or I will!"

I roll my eyes and turn toward my rack of clothes, passing by Kaitlyn as she moves to the vanity.

Before mom had died we had a tradition where we would go out once a month and buy as many party dresses as possible, and then we would come home and do a photoshoot.

My dad would always scold us for buying so many, and we'd swear to return them. We never did though. They usually ended up in here - along with all the other memories.

"Oh sweetie, you look beautiful, to think you'll be in high school next year!"

I twirl around in the body-hugging dress that falls loose around me, neglecting its job of hugging my nonexistent curves.

My mother laughs as I walk down our makeshift runway. When I make my way to her she wraps me in a hug so tight I thought I might pop.

"Mom!" I gasp, my arms dangling at her sides, "I can't breathe!"

She laughs once more, the sound filling the room as she peels herself off of me ."You will look wonderful in that someday, promise me you'll put it to good use."

I look up at her sad blue eyes and wonder what's wrong, but instead of asking any questions I nod my head and hold out my pinkie, she connects hers without a word and smiles.

"Promise."

What I would give to have her hug me again.