Filling The Void | Chapter Twenty | Keeping On

"I'm sorry you're grounded! I really am!"

A scoff sounds through the phone as I pace around the house, Sebastian's voice husky as he speaks, "Yeah I bet you are - the ones with freedom tend to be."

I snicker, "It's only a week."

"Yeah but it was brand new tile, I'm lucky she didn't kill me."

I can practically hear his eye roll. I smile.

"We can still see each other at school Monday right?"

I nod despite him being able to see me, "Well, I'll have to check my schedule."

"I despise you." He teases

"I despise you as well."

Staring out the front window, I force out memories of Ryder standing at the end of my driveway.

"How's that going anyway?"

"Hm?"

Bash laughs lightly, "The Auction or whatever, that fundraiser?"

"Oh," I avert my eyes to the couch and plop down, pulling a pillow onto my lap, "It's fine, I haven't really practiced since Thursday."

"You nervous?"

I sigh, "Actually yes. Kaitlyn and I haven't fought like this before. She hasn't talked to me in days and when I showed up at her house yesterday morning she wasn't there."

Bash is silent for a moment before he says, "I was talking about the Fundraiser."

A moment of longing passes through me, my want to be with Kaitlyn stronger than it'd been in the past couple days.

"Oh."

I can hear rustling on the other end and I imagine him switching positions from laying on his bed to spinning around, his legs propped up against the wall.

The tightness of his voice confirms my assumption when he says, "You guys will work it out though, she's your bestie till the end right?"

His word choice gets a laugh out of me and I begin to play with the frays on the pillow absentmindedly.

"She was mad then but for all we know maybe she's waiting for you to talk to her. You've been telling me that you were the one in the wrong so maybe you should make the first move."

My mind flashes back to all the times I'd ranted to Bash in the last two days, what with him being grounded and only being able to call, it made long talks easier. Trust me when I tell you'd I'd made use of them.

Lazily my eyes find the window that hovers in the center of two reading chairs. I stare out through the blinds, the green trees from neighbors yards daring me to make the venture to the Nicholson's.

"Maybe I will," I whisper, forgetting I was on the phone.

Sebastian grabs my attention by saying, "Better late than never."

After slipping on my shoes and opening the front door five times then deciding against it, I was now left pacing the front foyer.

I was sure I'd waited too long. Sure that if she had expected me to come to her that I'd just be annoying now, standing on her porch obviously desperate.

Every time I thought back to last Thursday the events made my mind all confused and jumbled.

Natalee had seemed sincere, Kaitlyn had even told me herself that Natalee wasn't one to apologize. It didn't make sense why the words she'd spoken, the reasons she'd given, wouldn't shock Kaitlyn even just a little bit.