Filling The Void | Chapter Thirty- One | I Said This Wouldn't Happen.

We've all seen those movies where the best friend somehow bumps into her love interest at two in the morning.

Or those books where the girl falls for her best friend's brother and somehow ends up in his house, causing them to have a cliche midnight meeting where they spill their feelings to each other.

Well...I'm here to tell you that if that's what you're counting on it's not going to happen.

I've planned this out so strategically So that it's practically impossible for Ryder to catch me when I go downstairs.

For what would I go downstairs for you're asking?

As a matter of fact, I need an extra blanket, because unfortunately, my best friend likes to sleep under a million.

I've tried gently yanking one off of her like a magician but she eventually wakes up and grumbles at me. She blames her incessant need for them on not having enough pressure on her during the night. She says its a comfort thing or something.

Personally, I think it's all in her head.

So as I tiptoe over to the bedroom door and click it open I look back over to my friend to find her groaning and rolling over to the other side of the bed...my side.

Id joined her pretty late last night when we'd crashed from shopping. At first I had been in my bed but since no one was around to distract me, every time I closed my eyes - I saw the fire.

I roll my eyes at her and turn my attention back to the task at hand.

Get a snack...oh, and the blanket.

After that taco bell it was true I'd been full, but Kaitlyn had pulled me around the mall for so long that I never got time to sit down and eat something.

When my eyes scanned the area where the shut door was supposed to be all I saw was Ryder laying on his bed that i could see straight through. Usually he closed his door.
Lucky for me he looked asleep, so instead of aborting the mission I stuck a foot out and slid out into the hallway making my way to the kitchen.

Ryder was right, I did know my way around here. It was a giant mansion...but I had played hide and seek in it my whole life, I knew all the hidden spots.

After getting to the kitchen and popping open the fridge I decided on a grape soda and an apple.

Yes, I know snacking late at night is bad for you, but at this point, I could care less about my health...the only health I was worried about was my fathers.

The hospital had been sending me updates, but only when something important happened.

Apparently, he wasn't holding up too well and they told me that I should come back to visit him.

Of course, Ryder suggested i not, saying that if I went back there I wouldn't be able to leave.

While he was completely correct I wanted to see him, he was my dad and I should be there for him.

Though the fact that he hadn't told me about the cancer when he had the chance made me think that maybe he didn't want me to know.

It also made me wonder how long he had known.

As I push down on the knife and cut straight down the middle of my fruit and grab a half I look around the kitchen and notice how it had never changed.

In all my years of eating in this house, and running around the kitchen island away from Ryder as he chased me with bugs, the kitchen had stayed the same.