Filling The Void | Chapter Thirty -Seven | Watching The Snow Fall

R Y D E R

As I watched her from the doorframe I began to wonder what was going on in that pretty little head.

After I'd caught her crying in Kaitlyn's arms it wasn't long until she transfered to mine.

We must have sat there for at least three hours just talking about her mom and her dad and how she didnt know what to say.

I'd tried to be her support line, I tried my best to give her advice I'd want to be given. But how the fuck do you give someone advice on how to be okay after they've lost both of their parents?

She's watching the snow, and while it hasn't snowed here in four years and I hate it...I'm glad it did.

I'm glad it gave her something to look at while she thought. While she sat there numb with loss.

"Mom she needs to talk to someone." I plead queitly as I watch my mother sort through endless files on her desk.

She waves me off, "You're the one who's in love with her. You go talk to her."

My heart does a double take as I watch her stare up at me and away from the stacks of papers for the first time in days.

"Wh-What?"

She soffs, "Don't even try to deny it Ry. You love her more than anything in this world and as her...whatever you are, its your job to be up there with her, even if you're not talking."

I swallow and look at her as she returns to her papers.

I'm not suprised that she knew, but it made me worry that I was a little too transparent when it came to Aspen.

What if I said the wrong thing...what if I messed it up even more.

I clear my throat, "What are you working on? Stuff for dad?"

She shakes her head and runs her hand through her bangs, "No. Insurance for Aspen."

"Why?"

She begins to sign her name on something and I watch her, "She needs to belong to someone."

My heart drops and I nearly pass out, "She can't be my step sister! That's-"

"Not going to happen." She laughs, without even looking up, "I'm just signing my name for an apartment lease and an emerency contact."

I blink at her, my heart settling, "An apartment lease?"

She smiles softly, "Yes. You'll be glad to know it has two bedrooms."

My face goes red and I look down at my shoes, "That's my queue, I'll be going now."

She laughs as I make my way out of her office, but once I shut the door I feel the corner of my mouth lift into the smallest smile.