Filling The Void | Chapter Thirty - Four | An Unexpected Visit

"I can't believe the auction is only one week away! Have you seen your dad? What are you going to do with your nails, you for sure need to do something about those, how's my bro"

I laugh at Kaitlyn and press my hand on her shoulder to calm her down, "Chill out, no I haven't seen my dad recently, and I don't know, maybe light pink?"

She chuckles before a sympathetic smile appears on her face, "Okay, but seriously...I know this is bothering you, do you wanna stop by the hospital?"

I clear my throat and pop open her passenger door and hop in, "That'd be great, maybe if you drive I won't be able to talk myself out of it.

She smiles, "One chauffeur coming right up!"

"Please please no no no! They told me not to come so I shouldn't be here, please can we go back? I don't think I can face him!"

Kaitlyn turns to me, a serious look on her face, "Somethings obviously wrong with the cancer if they won't let you see your own father, don't you want to know what that is?"

I bite my lip and groan, "Fine...but your buying me charleston chews!"

She laughs and when we get out of the car she locks it with a giggle, "I'm not buying you those, those will squeeze you right out of your dresses in one bite."

I roll my eyes and cross my arms nervously as we enter in one of the doors.

For the past four days I've been stressing out, and most of my nights were spent clutching my phone.

I'd pace back and forth in front of the untouched bed and stare at the black screen, waiting for it to light up with the hospitals number.

Eventually, Ryder had to take my phone so I could get some sleep, and though we hadn't gone from kissing and banter to anything more I had become really reliant on him.

My brain gets snapped back to reality when Kaitlyn taps my shoulder as she leans over the front desk, "Hi we're here for Mr. Waters."

The lady at the desk smiles and clicks on the computer before looking back up with furrowed brows "There are no visitors allowed so-"

"She's his daughter, and it's important she see him."

Her eyes flicked over to me and she nods once, "Go ahead, try to be inconspicuous."

My eyes widen in surprise as I freeze, and Kaitlyn has to push me down the hall a little ways until I begin to move.

I'm going to see my father.

It fells like I haven't seen him in years.

When we made it to room one twelve for only the second time I was calmer than I thought I would be.

I hadn't been here in almost a month now, too afraid of what he'd say.

So as I open the door and meet his blue eyes I watch as they grow with joy.

"Aspen! My beautiful daughter, come here."

As I make my way over to his bedside his warm arms wrap around me and Im brought back to all the 'welcome homes' I had gotten when I came back late.

All the late night pasta he would make when I was having a bad day, or the whole weekend he spent with me eating ice cream the days after mom died.

It hadn't been the same, but at least he tried.

"Hi, dad" I say, a hushed whisper as I pull away .

His eyes meet mine, but then they drift to Kaitlyn, "Hey there, long time no see. Has your hair gotten longer?"

Kaitlyn beams as she grabs her hair, "Yeah two inches! and also I've been using-"

Slowly her eyes drift over to mine and her smile twitches, "I'm just gonna..um...go get some hot chocolate."

I smile softly at her and she sends me a wink before she leaves.

"Why haven't you visited?"

I turn to see my dad urging me to answer with curious eyes.

What was I supposed to tell him?

Sorry, but they wouldn't let me in because you have lung cancer...oh how do I know? Well, I was right outside of the room when they rushed in to help you during one of your many emergencies.

"Um...thats actually why I'm here."I say, choosing to ease into it.

He furrows his eyebrow and cocks his head.

It's weird how just looking at him I can tell how the cancers got to him. I can tell how tired he looks, the bags under his eyes are getting darker and darker, and darker and...

"What was it you wanted to talk about? Is everything alright?"

After blinking hard I shake my head, "Um...well- it's just that..."

He rolls his eyes and lets a chuckle escape, "Oh Aspen, you really need to spit it out already you always end up doing this and then you-"

"I know you have lung cancer."

And there it was, like a piano falling out of the sky. It's giant and you see it falling.
You have an idea of what it will look like when it lands but there is no way to tell what sound this one will make in particular.

His eyes search mine and then he averts them down to the blanket, "I've been meaning to tell you but-"

"When? When they wouldn't let me in because you requested for them not to?"

He scratches his noes out of discomfort and even that alone doesn't make me regret what I said.

Not even an hour after they told me I should come, they called and said that their were no visitors. When I asked why they said he had requested it.

He takes a deep breath and looks back up at me, "Do you know about all of it?"

Now it's my turn to be confused as I stare back, "What do you mean all of it? all I know is that you have it, what's wrong?"

Another deep breath goes through him before he scrunches up his face and rubs his forehead.

"This isn't easy to say Aspen, and you know I love you and I'll be here as long as I can but I- I..."

I watch and stare back with a blank face.

I know what he's going to say.
Everyone knows what he's going to say.

So as my eyes begin to burn, I watch as my only guardian, my best friend, my role model...My father speaks his next words.

"I'm dying. I don't have very long."

_________

Hope you guys enjoyed!
🖤