Filling The Void | Chapter Forty | The Moments After

A heart monitor is one of the scariest things.

It could go off at any second, and when it does you've flatlined...you've died.

The door behind me seemed to open without me even realizing it and soon I feel Ryder take my hand as he pulls me up from the chair, the seat screeching on the tile.

"Aspen..."

I stare down at my father who's eyes didn't have the same light as before and stand frozen as Ryder tries to bring me away.

"Aspen we should go get the doctors."

I scoff, "You don't think they notice the absence of his heart rate?"

Ryder bites the inside of his cheek and pulls me into him, parting my gaze from my fathers.

When I finally look away it feels like a part of me is missing, and it makes me wonder what would happen if I just spent forever looking at him.

Bustling noises take over as nurses crowd the room, checking his pulse and unplugging equitment.

"Darling."

I turn around, my arms still wrapped around Ryder's torso as I look at the same nurse that had been on the street that day, "Yes?"

She sighs, "Unfourtunatly he's passed. We will contact you with more information-..." She pauses to rub my shoulder, "But for right now there's nothing more we can do."

I nod and swallow past my scratchy throat, "Thank you so much for all you've done to help him. I know he was happy in his passing."

She sends me a soft smile and hands me my dad's jacket before directing us out of the room.

Ryder's hand never moves from it's position around my waist as we walk back out to the car and I'm so glad that he came with me. I don't know how I would've reacted if I was alone.

"Hey, do you wanna go do something?"

I furrow my eyebrows and buckle my seatbelt, "Like what?"

The words come out clearer than I though they would, earning a soft glimmer of hope to pass over his eyes.

"Well so far my surpises haven't disapointed, so I guess you'll just have to wait and see."

I send him a tight lipped smile as he pulls out of the parking lot and as I look back at the hospital it doesn't feel like my fathers gone...if anything I think he's more with me than ever.

"Salted Caramel please." I say, leaning over the counter as the lady scoops my icecream.

Ryder chuckles as I take it from her hands.

"What?"

He smiles at me, "Nothing. Just you."

I roll my eyes and watch as he reaches into his back pocket, "Let me pay for half."

"No way."

I scoff, "Ryder come on. Let me pay!" I whisper shout, hoping the lady who's moved to the back room can't hear us.

He looks down at me and raises an eyebrow, "Let me do this?"

"No way." I mock, using my best Ryder immitation, "You shouldn't have to pay for me."

He smirks and I know that whatever he says next will be a tease just to stall.

"Boyfriends are supposed to buy their girlfriends ice cream."

My breath hitches as I take in the titles he's just placed for us, but a smug smile spreads across my face, "From what I remember you haven't asked me to be your-"

"Will you?" He asks, raising an eyebrow, "Be my girlfriend?"

My eyes widen at the question and for almost a split second I forget my father has passed.

My face reddens as he stares back at me, but when sadness flickers over him and he turns away clearing his throat I find my hand reaching out to him, "Yes. Why would you think I'd say otherwise?"

Without turning away from his gaze I grab his ten dollars and give it to the lady who was pretending not to eavesdrop.

I was Ryder Nicholson  girlfriend, and while my father had just passed away and I should probably have been grieving,  I feel like this is what he would want.

Of course, he'll always be on my mind, but it was weird how I felt so broken when he was alive, and now I felt put back together...completed.

After all he wasn't gone.
My gaze moves down to my ring finger, the silver looped around it. I spin it and smile.

He was right here with me.

________

Thank you for reading
🖤