Filling The Void | Chapter Sixteen | This One

"Yay!" Kaitlyn cheers, swinging her door open and hopping out, stretching before turning to look at me over the hood of the car, "Ready!"

I smile and nod, pulling out my purse as I look up at the large building. I had never been a huge fan of the mall, what with so many smells and noise. However, I knew this was important to Kaitlyn. So, I shut my mouth, threw my purse over my shoulder and followed her inside.

It was exactly how I remembered it. Teens running in and out of photo booths to collect overpriced pictures. Guys following their girlfriends around like snails, heads tipped back with a solemn look on their face.

It was funny really, how much I identified with them. I didn't want to be here so as Kaitlyn drug me into every bridal store I too found my head tipped back, eyes to the ceiling.

In truth, I had been looking. Last time I let her pick a dress for me it was a ruffly yellow. Not a good look on me.

I ran my hand across the fabrics, a beautiful red pantsuit style catching my eye. It had a train of silk flowing from behind and the shorts the substituted for the pants gave it a chic modern look.

"Ew, no. Don't even look at that. Come on this way!" She says, pulling me by my wrist.

I laugh and Kaitlyn points at the 'long gown department' like a little kid in an amusement park.

When we get to the racks I let my eyes wander the floral and plain dresses. Sequins, jewels, beads, glitter. If you wanted a dress for a high school fundraiser, Danielle's bridal shop was the place to be.

Snapping my eyes over the tall rack, on my tip toes, I locate the squealing girl that is, unfortunately, my friend.

"Oooo Lookie what I found!"

I smile and round the corner, coming to a halt next to her. I raise my eyebrows at the extravagant two-piece.

The red is flowing down in perfect waves, and the sheer fabric standing out against the white flooring of the shop makes me want to reach out and grab it. It reminds me of the pantsuit, but much more my style.

"It's uh..." Extravagant. That was what I'd wanted to say. I didn't think this fundraiser needed much more than a simple sundress or something.

Kaitlyn's jaw dropped, "Don't even try to get out of this!"

I sigh, "It's just-Kait, isn't this just an auction? For our school?"

She clicks her tongue as she drapes the dress over her arm, "It's also a chance to strut your stuff. Also, leaderships cover up title to host a fashion show."

I roll my eyes, "Whatever, you're the boss."

She tilts her chin up, "Yes. I am aren't I?"

I laugh and sift through the remainder of the dresses until I come across one that grabs my attention.

For a second this whole scenario feels wrong, and I feel like if I grab this and turn around my mother will be there, holding her own selection out to me.

Tears brim the surface of my eyes as I think about shopping with her, our hands clasped and swinging to the beat of the music as we shop. I used to love the mall.

"Did you find something?" Kaitlyn asks, giving me a knowing smirk.

I twist my mouth and smile. This is a tradition I shared with my mom, yes, but she would want me to smile and have fun...not dwell on what was.

"Yeah, actually I did..."

As I hold up the beautiful silver halter top dress the purple ripples flow down in front of me, making my best friend smile so big I think her dimples are going to pop off.